GO!

Meow About the Litter Genie Cat Litter Disposal System

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Hambone

SF Hammer

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:18pm PST 
Thanks for all the geat feedback everyone!

Welcome Kuybey and IMO!wave

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:07pm PST 
I have been pleasantly surprised by the Litter Genie. I have 3 cats, one of whom has renal insufficiency and pees like a horse, so I was expecting that I'd still have to empty the Genie every other day. Not so! It holds about 3-4 days worth of production. Not too shabby.

There was definitely a learning curve for me with getting to know my Genie. The first time I attempted to empty it, I knocked it over, then struggled with the bag cutter inside. Now that I've emptied it a few times, however, I've become quite the expert. The bags are strong; there's no smell emanating from them inside or outside of the Genie. I like that I don't have to use plastic grocery bags anymore. I don't know if the Genie bags are biodegradable, but at least I'm putting less plastic into the landfills.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:30pm PST 
It has been almost three weeks with the Litter Genie. I have to say goodbye to the used cat litter odor now that we have a Litter Genie. When I used grocery bags in the trash can, some weeks I was struggling to find a one that had no holes in the bottom. And at that I could never trust the filled grocery bag of used cat litter to make it out of the house in one piece. I have to carry it out of the house in the bathroom trash can. Now I can use the easy built-in bag cutter and take the bag out one handed. The plastic of the Litter Genie bag is strong. I did find I had some unused twist ties that I used after cutting my bag. I had no worries of the Litter Genie bag spilling as I tied a knot in the unit for the next litter pan cleaning. I'm still trying to get the right length of the bag in the bottom. the first week was too much and last week was too little. Last week I over filled it. I had too much pee before I knew it and some got stuck in the top and trap door could not close. Bad me, I was not watching for that. Rookie mistake.

Some ask me if the handle to open the trap door ever pinched me. I said no, but has it happened to you??

Has anyone gotten to the end of the bags?? Does it give you a warning to run out and get more. (The register papers at the stores have a pink color come up to warn them.) Anything like that?
[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:18pm PST 
Where do you buy the refills? WalMart doesn't have them.

Backstep

B the change U- want to C in the- world

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:36pm PST 
I almost got a Litter Genie. $14.00 - $5.00 coupon isn't too shabby.

From the testimonials here it works great like I thought maybe it would. But the downside it all that cost for the bags and filters. I didn't think about the bags and didn't realize about the filters until I went to look at the Cat Genies, then I was totally bummed out.

In the long term, I can't afford the Cat Genie. My cats must be major poop machines. I clean 5 litter boxers a day and a Cat Genie bag would only last me one clean up.

I still might get one for my brother for Christmas. I'm thinking a Cat Genie would work fine for him.

Anyone who is looking for a Cat Genie and can't find one locally, the Cat Genie and the bags and filters can be found on Amazon.com. Be sure to look for $25.00 or over free shipping options. When I checked there was a $5.00 Internet coupon (no paper clipping - yeah!) for the Cat Genie on Amazon.com though retailmenot.com
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 1:03am PST 
Petco, Petsmart and Target sell the unit and bag refills. Filter? What filter? The handle pinches the bag against the unit to trap the odor below the handle trap door.
[notify]

Backstep

B the change U- want to C in the- world

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:47am PST 
thinking I wonder what I saw that I thought were filters for the Litter Genie? I researched some more and I didn't find any filters for the Litter Genie.

There are other devices that are similar to the Litter Genie. When I went to look at the Litter Genie I also found Lucky Champ and Litter Locker which are similar. Maybe one of these take filters and I made myself confused. Then there is the Cat Genie litter box in the same area and seeing those filters beside the bags may have made me confuse myself. All that kind of stuff was all together. Confusing one's self happens a lot when one is older than dirt red face

The way my cats poop machine, I need a 30 gallon bag Litter Genie silenced
[notify]

Earl Grey

I love my mommy- Cree!

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:53pm PST 
I haven't reached the end of my plastic dispenser yet. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and it's become a nice habit. Scoop the poop, and empty into the bin! I do wonder how long the bags will last though. In the past I just recycled shopping bags, so I didn't have to spend anything on disposing cat litter... But I guess you pay for the convenience.
[notify]

Wally B.- ☺

Destructo-Dat!

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:29pm PST 
I was so excited when I received my Litter Genie in the mail! It was like an early Christmas present! The mail carrier drove into my driveway and honked for me to come out and get my package.
It was a large box, but very light. I opened it up and inside was some packing and the Litter Genie nestled in the packing.
But I was sad to see there were no instructions included. Maybe cat people are supposed to be smarter than dog people? I looked all over the Genie for instructions. Nothing.
I see some small drawings of how it was supposed to work, but they were far from explicit.
I could tell I was supposed to pull off a black plastic strip from the “bag” section, so I did. But it didn’t say how you were supposed to get the bags out? It would have been helpful for some kind of color coded starter strip to the bags. I ended up pulling a double thick section, because I thought they were supposed to be that thick. (See, I’ve never used one, nor seen one.)
It was awkward once I got it all put together. Wally is a big tom-cat (though fixed) and makes big potties. Just one was far too big to go down the hole. And he usually pees in the same spot more than once. Maybe I’m not a great kitty mom. I don’t clean the box every time each one of the 3 cats pee. Sorry, kitties.

So, I’m trying to force this huge chunk of potty down the shoot, and it isn’t wanting to go. I’m shaking the entire Genie (maybe if I rub it, it’ll vanish?) but it won’t go down. I start “cutting” the pee chunks of litter in half. Yes, it works, but ick.

I kept at this for the first 3 days. The Genie was already full. Yes, I have 3 very box-active cats.

No worries, I’ll just change the bag thingy! Yup! That was easy! And when I pulled to replace the bag, the extra layer was gone! Much easier! Now the pee will go down the shoot easier. Still have problems with the size of the chunks, but I can’t imagine wanting something big enough to fit those pees in my house. smile)

It is also a little difficult to find a place to put it. If it were just about 4 inches shorter, it would be the same height as the litter boxes, and I could put it next to them. As it is, I have to leave it out in the room. Not exactly pretty, but I have had several questions as to what it is and if I am using “Depends” now.

Overall, it is a great product if you have small cats, or one cat, or best use, kittens. Large cats? Toms with big bladders? Not so much… But I do appreciate it!

I used to just use the bags that our newspaper came in every day. Recycled, so to speak. Boy were those bags FULL!!! Ekkk!

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 4:33pm PST

Cow

Hissssssssss!

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:35pm PST 
For those of you with multiple cats, just how many Litter Genies per cat would be sufficient?

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8