GO!

Raw "pill pockets"

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 5:14am PST 
Hi all! I'm just wondering if anyone out there has a method that I haven't thought of yet to get a raw fed cat to eat it's pill rather than "pilling" in the traditional sense (open mouth, insert pill, squirt liquid down throat).

I've used duck hearts, gizzards, allergy pill pockets, and, yuck, most recently regular chicken pill pockets with Blackberry which he is now refusing to eat. He very reluctantly ate his pill in a gizzard this morning, but only after I drizzled water from a can of tuna on it (good thing I was making lunch for work!).

In the past I've also tried squishing American Cheese around a pill, but he's not a cheese fan.

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas!

BB's mom
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:07am PST 
Here's my method:

1. Purchase FortiFloria made by Purina. It's a little good gut bacteria in powder form, coated in the yummy taste that gets cats addicted to dry food.

2. Purchase pill pockets. I'd get chicken flavor for dogs if they make them, because my cat prefers chicken, and you get more for your money's worth with the dog pill pockets.

3. Pinch off a tiny tiny picece of the pill pocket -- think like you're playing with Play-doh or something. Certainly do NOT use the entire pocket. Depending upon the size of the pill, I take a ball of pill pocket maybe the size of a pea at largest -- ie the size of a kibble at biggest.

4. Smooth the pill pocket you've pinchef off flat, wrap the pill in there, and make sure it's well covered.

5. Roll the pill pocket (now with pill) until coated in forti flora powder.

At this point, your cat may take it. If your cat knows a trick, then do the trick and then give the pocket as a reward.

If your cat still won't go for it, get out two "normal" treats. A little bit of freeze dried chicken or freeze dried shrimp. Whatever it it, it better be yummy.

Put the first, yummiest treat on the floor right in front of your cat.

Right as your cat STARTS eating it, put the pill pocket next in line.

Right as your cat STARTS eating the pill pocket, put the last treat in line.

The trick is the cat sees there's another goodie right there, so they just swallow those pieces whole.

Edited by author Mon Feb 18, '13 11:09am PST

[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:10am PST 
If your pills are large, you may have to cut them up several times to use this technique.
[notify]

Blackberry

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:49pm PST 
Thank you Gypsy for taking time to write out your detailed method. big grin

So I found that I had 3 of the cat sized pill pockets left and he ate his pill in them (I use 1 and a half cat sized pill pockets to wrap up his doxycycline capsule). He didn't start to go off the pill pockets until I bought the dog sized ones a couple of days ago. They are the same chicken flavor, but there must be something about them he doesn't like.

I took your suggestion though, and ordered fortiflora and I realized that bonito flakes could probably be used in the same way, so I pulled them out of the cabinet. The other 3 cats came running at the sound of the tub opening, but unfortunately they just made Blackberry sneeze; bonus snack for the other cats though.

Hopefully my order of cat sized pockets will show up soon and BB will keep on eating them, but I'm thawing out my duck hearts now just in case.

I'm still open to any other ideas too!

Purrs,
Blackberry's mom
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 3:41pm PST 
Not sure if this would work with kitties, but I know the dog I had loved it when he had a pill! The braunschweiger liver sausage in tubes. Oscar Meyer makes a small one. It is nice & stinky & soft. I also used Merkt's cheese spread , but you did mention that Blackberry is not a cheese fan.
[notify]

Blackberry

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:10am PST 
Thank you Maizy, I will keep your suggestion in mind. smile
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:44pm PST 
This is Delyte. I am not raw fed and am a big fan of cheese. However, another method my person has used in the past was to hide the pill in ground beef. We just use the good quality stuff that they get from the butcher shop for the people, so it's pretty healthy. Just pull off a piece and hide the pill in it and roll it into a ball. She used to freeze little balls of it so I would have a fresh one every day.

I have never had to take a big pill or a big capsule, so that is a pretty big thing to hide. Our person says that in 60 years she has never known a cat who did not like cheese. There is a tub of Merkl's cheese spread in the fridge right now, and if I was strong enough to get the door open, I would eat the whole thing. big grin cat on moon
[notify]

Blackberry

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '13 3:40am PST 
Thank you Delyte; that is a very good idea. I actually have ground beef/bone/organ from Hare-today and I could probably pick out bone pieces from some of it and make little balls from the rest. I just don't know if it would be special enough to seem like a treat, but then maybe "not" special would be better.

Blackberry was very reluctant to eat his pill in a "dog" pill pocket again this morning, but he did it eventually. He's going through a pretty rough patch right now. frown

Yes, it is strange that he never liked cheese; my other 3 will go for it, although I haven't given them any in quite a while. Hmm, I've only ever tried cheeses like American with them, but I do have cheese spread in the fridge; maybe I'll try to see if he likes it with a little taste test later.

Purrs,
Blackberry's mom
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:58am PST 
Some medicines can be compounded into a different form (liquid, skin patch, gel, etc). Ask your vet if this is possible with the pills you are giving.

If not, then try the suggestions other have already given you smile Always follow up a pill with water/stinky tuna juice or canned food to help ensure that the pill makes its way down to the stomach way to go
[notify]

Blackberry

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:09pm PST 
Update: Tried the ground hare-today beef with the pill and BB ate the beef, but the pill fell out. I was afraid this might happen because the beef had been warmed for their meal; also it is not quite as moist and "sticky" as grocery store ground.

For the second shot, I wrapped the pill in the dog pill pocket and rubbed on some of the Fortiflora that showed up in today's mail. He wolfed that down in about 2 seconds.

Thanks again everyone!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2