GO!

Survey: How to prepare chicken gizzards for cats

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 4:00am PST 
1. Do nothing -- note, that might result in pretty big pieces

2. Cut through the connective tissue -- leaving about golf-ball sized pieces of tooth cleaning muscle

3. Cut them into strips

4. Something else I haven't thought of
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 10:04am PST 
The bigger they are, the more the cat has to chew, which is a good thing. Having said that, Mr. Fussypants over here likes his cut into about 1/2" pieces. He's a little spoiled.
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 2:20pm PST 
Thanks for the response.

Gypsy's been having some regurgitation or vomiting (not sure which) issues, so the vet said to give her 1/2 pepcid each day, and keep a food journal for a month.

I am adding some forti-flora which is a probiotic.

I'll have to see how this month goes. After that I might try replacing one of her meals with 1 gizzard and 1 heart and see how that goes. I think the problem before was I was cutting the gizzard too small, so she'd chew once or twice then choke it down without really chewing pieces off of it.

Currently she's getting fed 3 x/day. Before work, after work, and before bed.
[notify]

Samantha

Warning: Do not- anger cat.

Purred: Sun Feb 3, '13 12:51pm PST 
Sammy is silly and won't eat enough if she has to chew. She'll eat about half of a gizzard and then start pestering me to feed her something else. She used to make me cut them into kibble sized pieces but now she's okay with 1/2 inch pieces. I never though about cutting them into strips. I'll have to try that!
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:25pm PST 
The strips seemed to me like they'd be easy to chew, but would get less of the "dental floss" effect, which is why I'm feeding gizzard in the first place.
[notify]

Aloo

Farty

Purred: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:56am PST 
My Billi eats chunks of meat like a wild beast, but Aloo can't seem to eat anything she has to chew -_- She kind of puts in her mouth, chews a bit, then it drops on the floor...then she stares at it. WHYYYYYY. If I tear the pieces into, say, 1/4 tiny pieces, she eats them...but I don't think she's chewing those.

So I cut the gizzards into about 1/2 inch pieces, then assist Aloo if she wants to try eating it. She doesn't eat much anyway, of anything! (except treats of course)
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:42am PST 
You named your kitty Farty???

I've been trying to encourage my partner to use good adjectives about our cat, with the hope that she'll rise to the occasion. "Hateful", "Mean", "Booger" although I'm not sure what "Booger" means other than a sticky blob on the end of a five-year old's finger, don't seem helpful to me.

I prefer to call her "Clever", "Smart", "Good girl", "Pretty", etc.

Do you (as in you, all the kitty owners in the world) give your kittens "positive" or "negative" names?

I know this is in the wrong Form Home, but I'm not sure what to do about that now.
[notify]

Aloo

Farty

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 5:29pm PST 
LOL no silly! Her name is Aloo. I listed her being farty as one of her "thing" on the page. Hahaha.
[notify]