GO!

Question about Raw food diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Behr

I'm bearly a- Behr

Purred: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:21pm PST 
My mom has decided to try the raw food diet again with us cats. She bought 2 chubs and have split it up into 1 oz portions. I have a new sister who is 6 1/2 lbs. For her it says 4-5% of her of her body weight. We figured that was about 1 1/2 -2 oz a day. I think those calculations are wrong. She is few wet food 4 times a day right, so if were going to split even 2 oz a day that would only be 1/2 oz per meal. To me that doesn't seem like enough food. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:06am PST 
I'm not sure how you calculated, but I'm coming up with about 5 oz. a day. I would feed more a little if it's a kitten or a very active cat.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:13am PST 
The feeding amount guidelines pet food companies put on the bag or can of food are often inaccurate shrug Feed your cat enough food to maintain a good body weight. It's generally recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight.

What brand of raw are you feeding? Does the label say how many calories are in a 1 oz serving size? Some brands of raw foods are only 65 calories or so per 1 oz. A 6.5 pound cat will need about 2 oz per day, maybe more if it's a very active cat.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:02pm PST 
Merlin, do you mean 2 oz. per meal? If the cat is 6.5 lbs, that's 104 oz. 5% of that is 5.2 oz. per day. Which is a little less than a regular sized can. I know we're talking about raw and not canned, and of course it's better to go by calories but I was just trying to get a guideline and I don't think 2 oz. is enough food. Or maybe I'm a really bad mathematician! laugh out loud
[notify]

Behr

I'm bearly a- Behr

Purred: Thu Jan 31, '13 3:44pm PST 
Hi Merlin

We are using Small Batches.. 5 oz of food sounds a lot better than 1 1/2 -2 oz (silly mom) Harmony is about 5 months old and VERY active. Her and the 2 older cats get fed 4 times a day. So should we give her say 2 oz at breakfast and lunch and maybe 1 oz for each snack? I have another question. Someone posted a coupon for the instinct raw food. Right now we are buying the chubs, but would interested in trying the instinct, but I need to know, if we are using the chubs , do we need to keep using them or can we use the instinct as well.

One other question. We split the chubs into 1 ounce pieces and put them into small baggies. They are a nightmare to get out the bag once they are defrosted, so we were going to just put it in one container and use a scoop to take it out. How long can the meat sit in the refrigerator without going bad?? Mind you we are feeding 6 out of 11 cats the raw. The rest want nothing to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help.

Kelli

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 4:03pm PST

[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 10:02am PST 
I can't answer your questions about pre-made raw but knowing that's she's only 5 months, I would feed her as much raw as she'll eat. She's growing and burning all her calories being active and playful. Plus most times if a kitten knows there's always enough food they learn to self-regulate and not overeat. Just my two cents!
[notify]

Rumpy Bump- Stumpnots

I am the Cat of- Cats!

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:38am PST 
Keeping food fresh is ok if you limit how much you defrost. We use 12oz Ball canning jars. Since only 2-3 eat our home made we use a jar in 2-3 days (We only eat home made for one meal) and take another out on the last day to defrost in the fridge. They have large and smaller jars depending on how much food you use and they are a good price.

A rule we use here is if I would eat it they can. If I would not they will not.

Purrs
Rumpy and Pops
[notify]