GO!

Raw Food daily menu

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:23pm PST 
Hi everyone, new to the forums.wave

So i typed in raw food and there were 12+ pages and its all abit much.

I have 2 kittens, 11 weeks old and i have been feeding them store bought raw diet like:
(http://www.barfaustralia.com/Home.aspx)which they absolutely love and a scoop of a mixture of high quality kibble. They were rescue kittens so the vets provided me with big bags of Hills, Eukanuba, Advance and Pet canine, and i have basically got a container and combined them.

My Vet isnt a fan of raw, or even wet food to be honest so ive compromised and thus offering the scoop of biscuits at mid day for about 30 minutes to "help with dental hygeine"

So thats the background. What i want to know is what sort of menu do you recommend daily/ weekly for my kittens. I would like to introduce wing and necks aswell, and possibly phase out the kibble. (i have so much so i dont want to waste it)

Do i give them a neck/ wing daily does that replace a serving of raw food and then phase out kibble. i have kittens not pigs confused so confused
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:26pm PST 
OK, first...find a new vet. A vet that doesn't know how beneficial canned food is for a cat should not be your vet. I understand not all vets are pro raw, but kibble causes so many health problems that no vet should recommend it as a diet. A cat physically can not drink enough water to make up for the lack of moisture in dry food so they are chronically dehydrated which is so tough on their kidneys and causes urinary issues as well (infections, crystals, etc.). Second, dry food is calorie dense and full of carbs which cats can't process. They're *obligate* carnivores. They need meat, meat and more meat. Carbs can lead to obesity and diabetes.

Next, you really shouldn't mix kibble and raw unless there's a minimum of 12 hours in between. What happens is that raw food is species appropriate for a cat. It moves quickly and easily through their digestive system. Kibble takes them a very long time to digest because it's full of things their systems weren't built to handle (grains, vegetables and all the mystery ingredients). So if raw food gets backed up behind kibble it has a chance to grow bacteria in their systems.

I always recommend Dr. Pierson's website, catinfo.org, to people who are just starting out. You'll find the basics there along with a recipe for ground raw. If you prefer to do what we call "Frankenprey" with chunks of meat and bone, just remember the basic rule: 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. This comprises a complete diet for a cat. Poke around a bit and feel free to come back and ask as many questions as you need!
[notify]

Artemis

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:59pm PST 
Do you know how hard it is to find a vet in Perth who isnt sponsored buy some major brand pet food company. Its either Eukanuba, Hill or Pet Canine or Advantage. Either the animal shelters give it out for fostering.

Ive put in an order for some vitamins and stuff and using the recipe: http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html which is very similiar to the one you suggested. i dont have a grinder so i will be doing it with bone meal.

However, i have been giving kitty, chicken necks and wings. and i wish to give other whole little bits to munch. so i suppose its like a combo of frankenprey and raw moosh?!?! but is this ok?

SO what i was wondering how many times should i give what and when??
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:57am PST 
I know - all the vets push their chosen brands and prescription food. It's a good source of income for them. But a vet that pushes 100% dry food is a vet that doesn't understand cats' physiology. Your other option is just don't talk about what you're feeding and hope that it doesn't come up!

It's fine to combine Frankenprey and ground. Think of it this way: ground is a "complete" meal. Feed it as often as you like. The added bones and chunks for other meals is where you have to try to balance. You need to use those percentages, whether it's per meal or per week. A good indicator of a balanced diet is in the poop - too dry, hard and crumbly would indicate too much bone, while soft and runny indicates not enough. Hope this helps!
[notify]