GO!

Water in raw, does it matter & heating or reheating...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Merida

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:15pm PST 
Couple of questions... Does it make a difference which water you add to your raw food if you make your own or if you add any to your premade you buy? Distilled, spring, tap, purified. I am curious on what your take is on this. I make my own food and have tried all the different waters and not noticed a difference.

Also, the heating and reheating I have noticed some places having debates on this. What do you do in your house? I heat once, fridge right away, and reheat only once if she has at least half a dish of leftover. I also don't heat it up much, just a tad warmer than room temp by placing her metal dish in a ceramic dish of boiled water and stirring until slightly warm. She hates if it is warmer or colder than this, she will refuse to eat.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:33pm PST 
Most people recommend bottled or purified water just because of impurities and minerals in tap. There's a reason not to use distilled but for the life of me, I can't remember what it is!

As far as reheating, I'm probably more lenient than some - I have no problem reheating multiple times if necessary. I usually feed 4 times a day - twice in the morning and twice at night. I'll measure out half a day's worth, feed the first meal, pick up the leftovers, refrigerate and reheat for the next meal. I do the same as you - put the baggie into warm water to heat.
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '12 5:24pm PST 
Thanks for the response BK, I keep reading different things on different sites really. Not that I am confused, I basically go with if i wouldn't eat or drink it, my cats don't. big grin
[notify]

Fagin

Kitten Overlord- Demands Moar- Wand Toys!

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:12pm PST 
Hey Merida,

I personally don't put water in my cat's raw food - it has water content naturally in it, and given that he likes to bite his food, I don't want it too soggy, but that's just me. Actually, I didn't know people put water in RAW, so now I'm gonna have to run off and do some internet trolling, haha! laugh out loud

As for reheating, what I do is pull out the meat a little before I serve it so it's room temperature. Right now, I divide the packet into two feedings and use a ziploc to hold the next meal's leftovers. It probably depends on what type of RAW you're giving them, but I mean - raw meat is raw meat. As long as you're not introducing bacteria into it by your heating method, you should be fine. And frankly, cats used to eat carasses left in the sun, so a little warm water wouldn't kill them, methinks. big grin
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Dec 28, '12 12:43pm PST 
Fagin, I should have clarified. I add water to GROUND raw, not chunks. I follow Dr. Pierson's recipe on catinfo.org for my CH girl who won't chew bones and add water and supplements to the ground meat/bones/organs mixture.
[notify]