GO!

Smelt?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:03am PST 
I've read recommendations that you give your cat 1 sardine a week. At the international food store, I saw smelt, fresh or frozen, which look about the same size as a sardine.

Can you feed 1 smelt to your cat each week?

If not, then I'm not sure where to get sardines except canned in the tuna aisle.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:37am PST 
This is Delyte. Smelt is not as high in omega fish oil as sardines, which is why they are having you feed one sardine a week. Sometimes if you live in a big urban city you can find raw sardine at a fish store. Here in the Midwest we get them from a can. My male person is on a low-carb diet and eats the ones packed in olive oil and they are GOOD. They are supposed to make my arthritis better, but they upset my stomach sometimes and my female person doesn't like to clean up the mess, so I don't get a whole one any more.
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:48pm PST 
Thanks for the response Delyte!

I'm just getting started in the raw feeding arena, so there's plenty to learn.

So, I'll look around at a couple of the international markets to see if I can find frozen sardines. It's good to know, though, that the ones canned in olive oil are good to use as well, with each sardine being spread across a few meals to avoid tummy problems.

Thanks again!
[notify]