GO!

Adding texture to a pre-prepared complete, frozen, ground diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:28am PST 
Sounds like you've got a plan! Most of us feed wings and necks because there aren't many other bones small enough. BK will eat rabbit ribs but I can't imagine how many he'd need to make 10% of his diet! Quail is not that easy to come by and he's not a poultry kitty anyway. Cornish hens are good - more of those bones would probably be edible.

By all means, come back when you have more questions. It's really not that overwhelming once you get started!
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '13 4:35am PST 
I started the journey to frankenprey because my cat wasn't enthusiastic about the frozen prepared meals we started with.

I began adding chicken hearts, then chicken gizzards to get her used to chewing and to build up jaw strenth.

I got as far as giving her a couple of bone-in quail legs. The first one she crunched up no problem, and the second she moved aside then finished the rest of her dinner.

However, now we've gotten to a point where she mostly finishes up her ground dinner, so I no longer have the need to move to frankenprey.

So, at this point, I think I'm going to stick with the pre-ground frozen supplemented with chicken gizzards to give her something to chew on.

This has the advantage in that it's easy enough for my roommate to understand (either it's warm up what's in the ziplock bag, or at worst it's defrost two hockey pucks of ground meat and two chunks of frozen gizzard).

Thanks for all your help in understanding the frankenprey model and helping me come up with a transition plan, even though I've decided I no longer need the frankenprey.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2