GO!

APHIS-2011-0003-0001- New Bill that limits home breeding.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:28pm PST 
This bill is enabling pet stores to exist and places restrictions on home breeders. Home breeders are raising cats in a loving family place where breeders usually don't allow their cats to leave until they are at least three months old and when they are socialized.
I hate pet stores where cats are caged and not in the best conditions. This bill is for pet stores and not for home breeders. Please submit your comment to this bill as soon as possible.
Thank you.
[notify]

Houdini

Agent Houdinsky - reporting for- duty

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 3:16pm PST 
I like that it places limits on home breeding.
As far as those limits go, it states that a person owning or having in their domicile four or more breedable females, that they must be inspected. I think this is a wonderful idea to stop BYB and mills, as well as breeders that don't care all that much and are looking for a quick buck.
If the breeder is responsible to begin with, I don't see how an inspection and certification would be a detriment. While the issue of not regulating pet stores needs to be worked on, at least the USDA is tackling BYB.
It's not perfect, but it's a start.
[notify]

Rusty

let no food bowl- be empty

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 2:16am PST 
Mandatory Spay and Neuter. Sorry, but that is the only way we can ever hope to get the overpopulation of dogs and cats under control and stop the killing of millions and millions of unwanted animals.

I know most don't agree with me but work in a shelter during your teen years. Work in a shelter and euthanize hundreds of unwanted animals and you would change your mind.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 12:24pm PST 
To be specific, the bill is aimed at breeders who do not open their premises to the public, but sell only on the Internet, thus dodging the USDA APHIS inspection, licensing, and animal welfare requirements. This loophole has allowed hundreds of puppy mills to continue to operate outside the law. Breeders who do allow potential buyers to come on to their property and see their animals are classified as "retail pet stores" and are thus exempt from these licensing and inspection regulations.

From the actual document:

Summary of Major Provisions

``Retail pet stores'' are not required to obtain a license under
the AWA or comply with the AWA regulations and standards. Currently,
anyone selling, at retail, the following animals for use as pets are
considered retail pet stores: Dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs,
hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, gophers, chinchilla, domestic ferrets,
domestic farm animals, birds, and cold-blooded species.
This proposed rule would rescind the ``retail pet store'' status of
anyone selling, at retail for use as pets, the animals listed above to
buyers who do not physically enter his or her place of business or
residence in order to personally observe the animals available for sale
prior to purchase and/or to take custody of the animals after purchase.
Unless otherwise exempt under the regulations, these entities would be
required to obtain a license from APHIS and would become subject to the
requirements of the AWA, which include identification of animals and
recordkeeping requirements, as well as the following standards:
Facilities and operations (including space, structure and construction,
waste disposal, heating, ventilation, lighting, and interior surface
requirements for indoor and outdoor primary enclosures and housing
facilities); animal health and husbandry (including requirements for
veterinary care, sanitation and feeding, watering, and separation of
animals); and transportation (including specifications for primary
enclosures, primary conveyances, terminal facilities, and feeding,
watering, care, and handling of animals in transit).
In addition to retail pet stores, the proposed rule would exempt
from regulation anyone who sells or negotiates the sale or purchase of
any animal, except wild or exotic animals, dogs, or cats, and who
derives no more than $500 gross income from the sale of such animals.
In addition, the proposed rule would increase from three to four the
number of breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild
mammals that a person may maintain on his or her premises and be exempt
from licensing and inspection if he or she sells only the offspring of
those animals born and raised on his or her premises for use as pets or
exhibition, regardless of whether those animals are sold at retail or
wholesale.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '12 12:44pm PST 
So...I am a small breeder. I have 4 female cats that I actually breed. Another breeder's cat comes for stud service--woops, I now have too many cats, at least temporarily. Now, I have 2 female kittens, 6 months old, that I intend to show as remiers and will not breed, but am letting them mature a bit before spaying. Uh-oh...And even worse, how will the inspector determine that the 7 spayed females here are in fact spayed? They are OLD and their scars are invisible under their fur since it was done so long ago.
This bill also requires that if the inspector comes without warning, someone had BETTER be at home. And there are requirements that there be drains in floors, animals be separated (no more sleeping with my kitties, no more well socialized babies, etc) never mind the invasion of privacy.
It's ALREADY illegal to have animals in filthy, crowded, cruel conditions--even spay and neutered animals. If you see such a condition report it and have the person face the charges. I think this bill supports unneccesary invasions of porivacy and will do nothing but provide income to the government where you caqn be sure it WONT be used to help animals !
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '12 2:03pm PST 
If you are a breeder who allows buyers to come on to your property and look at your animals, you are classified as a "retail pet store" and thus are exempt from licensing and inspection regulations required by APHIS
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:38pm PST 
We do allow anyone that can and wants to come see our kittens here, but we also sometimes sell to people that do not come here--I deliver the kittwen to their home by hand, or we meet halfway because the distance involved is too great, the person does not have ample time to come to my state, it's more cost effective to deliver the kitten while I'm at an out of town show, etc. --which means the buyer does not enter the 'store;. That's the part that bothers me, and I think should be re-worded.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:06pm PST 
I only know the world of small scale hobby breeders who show with the CFA. I have never met a breeder who was breeding on a scale that could be classified as "kitten mill," and have never met a breeder with subpar breeding conditions. Breeders are subject to licensing and inspection in Japan.

My biggest question is regarding kitten mills. Do they really exist? I know that puppy mills do, and I also know that it's not uncommon to mix up dogs and cats--dogs usually have a breed, dogs are often bought from breeders, but the vast majority of cats have no breed and are not bought from breeders.

Backyard breeders? Yes, of course they exist. I have one near me in Tokyo. Is her place a kitten mill? Not in terms of numbers.

I have spent a long time looking for information on kitten mills on the Internet and have found virtually none. Puppy mills, yes. If there are kitten mills or sleazy breeders who breed on a large scale, they would most likely be breeding the popular breeds of today--Bengals and Ragdolls, for example.

The presence of cats labelled as "breed" cats in shelters means nothing. A longhaired white cat can be labelled a Turkish Angora, a tailless cat a Manx. Both are extremely rare breeds that are not even well represented at CFA cat shows. Cats of either breed are unlikely to end up in a shelter barring something cataclysmic happening to owner or breeder. Siamese and Persians and their mixed descendents have been around since the days before mandatory spay and neuter; a Siamese in a shelter was not necessarily born in a cattery. Maine Coons are a naturally occurring breed with a pedigreed subset, and the naturally occurring kind can be found in shelters because they are basically moggies. Breed cats are not the problem in shelters. Regular old moggies whose parents weren't altered are.

In any event, I would appreciate any information you might have on kitten mills. Until I see some documentation, I am inclined to think of this problem as a kind of urban myth.
[notify]