GO!

Cat Abuse in Doritos Commercial

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabrina

No outfit is- complete without- cat hair

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '12 7:42am PST 
During the Super Bowl, an ad for Doritos aired showing a dog bribing their owner with a bag of Doritos to remain silent about a missing cat being killed. We feel this commercial is not only offensive to cats and cat lovers but also makes light of the issue of animal abuse as well as violence against cats. Millions of cats are euthanized every year at animal shelters across the country and some of them are tortured or killed at the hands of animal abusers. Another disturbing trend is that there have also been documented cases of dog attacks on cats.

We feel that by submitting and supporting this ad to be broadcasted Frito Lay and its parent company PepsiCo showed extremely poor taste and judgment and feel it should be removed from the airwaves immediately. We also ask that the commercial's creator return any money they made for creating the piece and a public apology be made to all those cat lovers you have offended with this ad. Until public correctness is made we the undersign officially will boycott Frito Lay and PepsiCo and not purchase any of your products.

Please sign petition (and pass on to your friends) at:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/doritos-commercial-is-offensiv e-to-cats-cat-lovers/
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 12:31am PST 
A cat being killed??? That's hardly a feel good story line for a commercial.
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 9:03am PST 
We saw this posted on Facebook also, and signed the petition, but will be glad to sign again. And agree, it is NOT funny, for a commercial to show animal abuse in any way, shape or form. Someone in their Advertising/Marketing Department was sleeping when this commercial was made and shown on TV.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Jane, Lydia- & Mary- Bennett

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 12:23pm PST 
We just read on the CATSTER Community Page that someone entered this commercial and WON A CONTEST!!! This upsets us even more - if they wanted to use animals, what about having the dog steal a steak from a plate near an outdoor grill, eat the steak. Then his owner sees him burying the bone, and knows he stole the steak. This is funny (to us anyway), and does NOT involve making light of killing a cat.

Here on CATSTER, on the Internet and Facebook, you can read over and over of animals abused and killed. And of course the children who suffer abuse as well......are we so "thick skinned" that we will allow this commercial to be shown. In NO WAY do we think it is less horrible to abuse children (or any human for that matter), but such commercials trivialize abuse, and make it a source of laugher.

Sorry, our meowmy just had to rant, but knows she is preaching to the choir here (Thank The Great Cat).

The New Orleans Kities
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 2:54pm PST 
Bump signed it, they got almost 2,000 signatures, and, he put it on the cat show board.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 4:57pm PST 
There are American commercials that show CHILD ABUSE??? Sorry, you folks have one sick country there.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 5:17pm PST 
I saw the commercial on Youtube. It is sick and stupid. Now, will someone point me to the commercials involving child abuse? I'd like to sign a petition against them, too. No, this is not Childster, but animal abuse and child abuse are related.
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 7:08am PST 
Val: No, there are no commercials showing Child Abuse, thankfully. I only meant to say that making a commercial where animal abuse was considered funny is sick. I have worked in the Marketing/Public Relations Field and you are SUPPOSED to be careful of what you put out there....did nobody at Doritos think that it might be offensive to animal lovers???

Tell the Tokoyo Kitties their Auntie Faye sends ear skritches to them
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 3:00pm PST 
Thanks, Auntie Faye! Glad to know that there are no child abuse commercials. But that Doritos commercial was AWFUL! What were they thinking???
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:33am PST 
I saw this commercial. I thought it was stupid and un-funny and I hope I never see it again. I'm glad I already don't buy the advertised product so I don't have to initiate a personal boycott!

HOWEVER, I don't think the commercial depicts anything that qualifies as "abuse", and to label it as such makes light of situations wherein animals are truly abused. A dog cannot formulate the intent to abuse a cat. Dogs do sometimes kill cats of course, but they don't do so with any intentions of abuse. If anything, the killing of one domestic animal by another is probably the result of irresponsible human behavior in not properly supervising or controlling one's pets.

I suppose I can see how ascribing human attributes to the dog (he hides the evidence and bribes the guy to keep quiet, humanlike not doglike) might blur the lines a bit. Even so, I don't think it depicts abuse, just extreme stupidity and tone-deafness on the part of the advertisers.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course. YMMV.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2