GO!

Greyhound Abuse in Super Bowl Ad

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jan 7, '12 3:55pm PST 
NBC plans to air a Super Bowl commercial that uses greyhound racing to show how fast Skechers' new sneakers are. But an undercover investigation has revealed that the Arizona track that serves as a backdrop for the commercial is notorious for extreme animal cruelty.

And with over 100 million viewers expected for Super Bowl XLVI, though, animal advocates fear the ad will effectively whitewash an industry so dependent on animal cruelty that it's outlawed in 38 states.

GREY2K USA recently published findings of an undercover investigation that exposed the Tuscon Greyhound Park’s shocking cruelty. Now, the group has started a petition on Change.org asking NBC not to air Skechers' commercial during the biggest American sporting event of the year. Will you sign GREY2K USA's petition telling NBC to take a stand against animal cruelty by refusing to air Skechers' new commercial, shot at the Tuscon Greyhound Park, during the Super Bowl?

When it learned Skechers was filming an ad at the Tuscon Greyhound Park, GREY2K USA wanted to draw attention to that specific track's terrible record of mistreating greyhounds. Through its undercover investigation, the group had already found that the track was:

muzzling greyhounds while they're warehoused in dark, cramped kennels;
providing inadequate exercise out of doors;
feeding dogs raw meat from diseased animals and animals dead before slaughter;
running dogs in dangerous conditions; and
ignoring a disturbing frequency (every 3-4 days) of serious injuries like fractured skulls, broken bones, dislocations and muscle tears.
Then, when GREY2K USA found out the ad was planned to air during the Super Bowl and had some of the biggest names in sports behind it, it became clear this issue was much bigger than just one track in Tuscon. Thousands of dogs each year suffer broken legs, cardiac arrest, spinal cord paralysis and broken necks in the dog racing industry. When the dogs are no longer profitable, they're killed.

Super Bowl ads are the most sought after slots on the air all year, NBC wouldn’t have any trouble replacing Skechers' ad with another. All that's needed is enough of a public outcry to get the broadcaster to drop Skechers’ ad promoting dog cruelty.

Please sign GREY2K USA's petition telling NBC not to air the dog-abuse-promoting Super Bowl ad from Skechers next month.

Thanks for being a change-maker,

- Stephanie and the Change.org team

**If** you would like to sign the petition, please go to change.org and click on Animals.
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Sun Jan 8, '12 9:25am PST 
We are horrified that such a ad would run and as you said, millions and millions of people will see it, and not know the dirty secrects behind this "sport".

Going to change.org as soon as I post this and sign the petition. Some friends of mine own two greyhounds, resuced from a life (if you can call it that (at a dog track). Thanks for the post Bump!!!!

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:45pm PST 
Come and join the fist fight, er, I mean, discussion, on the Skechers Facebook site. Look for the picture of the bulldog, with the sneakers on. Bump swingin, as usual. laugh out loud
[notify]

Marzipan

The sweetest- little brat :)

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:41pm PST 
Petition signed!! smile
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 9:09am PST 
Just Signed way to go
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 1:40pm PST 
Bump may I have your permission to copy and paste your entire post and use it for my newsletter to get people to sign the petition? I'll give you the credit for it. Let me know and I'll put it out asap! way to go
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 3:56pm PST 
Absolutly, post it anywhere you want to, altho, there is a 25 cent fee, mol. laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

They are still fistfighting, er I mean, discussing it on the Sketchers site. Bump got out of that discussion early on, as it was getting really nasty and brutal, even for Bump, mol. shock

Bump just wanted to bring attention to it. Super Bowl is this Sunday, be interesting, to see if the ad airs. If nothing else, it brought attention, to the cruelity of grey hounds. Some put stories on there, that made me sick. One, the owner, tied a rope around the neck, attached it to a hunk of concrete, put the dog, on the beach, so she drowned, and cut off her ears, so she could not be identified. And that was one of the tamer stories.

If ya want more of the stories, for your site, I will find them for you, or you can go to the Sketchers FB site, look under the little bull dog, and there is like about a zillion posts, not for the faint of heart reading, but if you need help finding the stories, be very glad to help.

Thanks for putting it on your site. hughughughughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 5:09pm PST 
MOL laugh out loud What a bargain!

NOOOOO, no stories please. I don't need to read that stuff or include it, it'll just get people mad at me. They'll sign it just from your original description. Sometimes too much info is too much to stomach, know what I mean? red face

Thanks, I'll get this out tonight seeing as it's this Sunday.way to go
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 6:53pm PST 
Instead of the 25 cents, Bump wants to know, if you would put this in your site somewhere.

MCBFA has received a request to help with a research study on Maine Coons. It will be done by Lisa M. Freeman, DVM, PhD, DACVN, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
in Massachusetts. She will be studying the role of diet in heart disease in Maine Coons. She will be working with a number of veterinary and human cardiologists including Dr. Meuers. She is looking for Maine Coons in the NE to participate in this study which will start in June. Details and contact information are available here.

http://www.mcbfa.org/

Bump is going, hope it ain't too far, up the Pike, mol. Have not a clue, where in MA it is. laugh out loud
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Wed Feb 1, '12 5:13am PST 
I will post it on my website and in my newsletter Bump! DONE! AND...I sent out the greyhound thing last night and I know tons of people signed and I told them to pass it along. way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2