GO!

JACK THE CAT'S LAW

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Merlin- >PAWS<- [In Loving

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 7:46am PST 
Many of you are aware of Jack's tragic story: lost through the negligence of the airline at JFK; found after 63 days, injured, dehydrated, severely malnourished. After 2 weeks in the hospital, his grief-stricken guardian, Karen, had to make the sad decision to send him to the Bridge.

There's now a petition at www.change.org to have "Jack the Cat's Law" enacted. It would require airlines to provide every animal traveling in cargo with a GPS device (collar or tag, for example). This is not ideal, for *no* companion animal should *ever* fly in cargo, but it is a start, and it would give some meaning to Jack's suffering. Had there been such a law, Jack would have been found much sooner and might have still been with Karen. If you agree, please go and sign the petition - for the sake of every cat, dog, or other companion animal who flies.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 8:14am PST 
I just went to change.org and can't find it. Can you please provide us with a direct link?
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 8:15am PST 
Never mind, I found it: Jack the Cat's Law
[notify]

CeeCee Ryder- Knowles

Go Cee Cee- Ryder!!!!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 9:54am PST 
Mommy can't at work, but will later!

I would like to add sometihng here....Mommy wants to say that the Vet who runs the Vetport is the same one who let Cee Cee pass away. We don't think that the Vetport had anything to do with it, but wanted to warn anyone considering boarding their pet at the vetport about that.
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 11:34am PST 
We are ALL OVER this!!! Thanks! Luv, Tinkkitty & Snowkitty
[notify]

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 2:20pm PST 
Thank you, Finnegan, for providing the clickable link; "the woman" doesn't know how to do that. naughty
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 7:06pm PST 
Are GPS devices now readily available for animals? About how much do they cost? Some owners may not want to spend the extra fee (and shame on them, if they can afford airfare for their animals and themselves). I don't know about shipping within the US, but international shipping requires chipping and medical data.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 12:43am PST 
there is a more comprehensive and strict petition also that calls for an end for all airline cargo transportation of animals. Here is the link, please sign! : http://www.change.org/petitions/jacks-law
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 6:40am PST 
Harvey, the way I understand the intended law is that the *airline* would be required to supply the GPS device. It would be the airline's responsibility and not the guardian's. As to chipping - Jack was chipped, but that doesn't help to locate a missing loved one. I don't know if implantable GPS devices are available for pets, but they surely are available as collars or tags - heck, they're put on some consumer items to track them.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 6:46am PST 
Thank you, Guest, for the info. I've just gone and signed that petition, too. What a wonderful memorial to Jack passage of such a law would be!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3