GO!

kitten help!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 7:03am PST 
Hi, I just have a couple questions about my 2 precious kitties. they are 12 weeks as of Sunday.

1) What do I do when Nadia nips and claws at my arm? (playing) My plan right now is to put her on her fav toy (a scratcher with a ball in a track around it). I tell say we play with toys, not mommy?

2) I do I keep the kittens out of the adult food and the adult cat out of the kitten chow? They are currently not really eating their kitten chow and filling up on the big cats food? I tried moving the big cat's dishes but she would go back to where her food should be and cried. I can't shut the door to that room bc then the bigger cat can't get to her food or her litter. Any suggestions/

In other kitty news, the introduction to the big cat could not have gone better. She was sniffing their cage and not hissing/growling after a couple days. A week or so into we gave them free mingling time and we had a few hissing/growling moments and the occasional bat in the face. I haven't heard any hissing in days and last night the big cat (Alice) let Blue eat out of her bowl of wet food while she was eating. She comes out while the kittens are playing and watches them curiously. I caught Nadia and her snuggling under the bed the other day. Hoping they will be friends soon. (she is 8)
[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:31am PST 
Kitten food is normally higher in fat & protein. If you are feeding your adult cat food that states it is for all life stages, then the kittens can eat it. If not, maybe try putting a teeny bit of the adult food in with the kitten food to get them to eat. I know there were a couple brands of kitten canned food that Felix just did not like. He now eats Welness kitten, Nature's Variety (all ages) and Halo (all ages) good luck with your babies!cat on moon
[notify]

Simon

I'm awesome? I- know! ^w^

Purred: Sun Dec 16, '12 8:47pm PST 
I agree with getting anew food that is good for all life stages. I feed Taste Of The Wild right now, Go! Natural is a super awesome food and I prefer to feed that.

If you don't want to switch food you can try the same thing I'm doing to keep my dog from mowing down the cats dinner. I keep the dogs out of the cat food is I bought a plastic bin with a lid (like a rubbermaid storage bin) and I cut a hole in the side big enough to accommodate the cats but not dogs. Then you just pop the top and put in the food dish, replace the lid and you're good to go! I'm sure the same theory would work if you had a hole big enough for the kitten but not big enough for the adult cat to slide through.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:03am PST 
First of all, when your kitten play attacks you, divert his/her attention to a toy. If you keep on letting them attack your hands, it might end up being a bad habit. Play with a wand toy.

My vet said to me,"in the wild there is no mouse labeled 'for kittens only'" And if you think about it, it makes sense. In the wild lion cubs eat whatever their parents eat. So at about 5 months old, I fed my Hunter adult food. He never had an issue. As the other posters mentioned, make sure it says All Life Stages though, just to be on the safe side. big grin
[notify]

Juliette

Purred: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:38pm PST 
Wellness does make kitten food and there are some foods that are labeled for all stages of life.
My kitten chows down her food so my older cat does get much of her food. Some times, they
take turns eating each other's food. It is fine as long as both are getting enough food.
I did separate the food in the first few months. Kitten Juliette is now nine months so she is doing well eating kitten and adult food. Make sure that you are exercising all of the cats and kittens.
Enjoy the kittens...
[notify]