GO!

Hairballs Ick! Vaseline Recommended?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Simon

I'm awesome? I- know! ^w^

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:18pm PST 
I have had my Hunter-cat almost a year now and he has never spat up a hairball. My newest kitty addition however is a different story.
I'm new to being a cat mom so when I came home from work and saw the hairball behind the couch I panicked and assumed it was feces. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why all of a sudden someone was pooping behind my couch! The other day I was in bed and woke up to Simon horking up a lovely mess of food/hair only to finally clue in that what I had found behind my couch was from the other end of the cat. Simon is a 6 year old DLH with feline asthma (I dont know if that matters but the more info the better) and has had 2 hairballs in the last month.
A friend of mine from work told me that her cat Ringo had terrible problems with hairballs and her vet suggested a little bit of Vaseline every so often would help him pass them. I'm not 100% sure if I should be letting him eat Vaseline though, seems kind of iffy to me. I broke down and bought a jar of it but have had it sitting on my counter for about 3 weeks. I would rather keep him shaved down if the Vaseline is bad for him but I really enjoy his long, silky fur and it would be kind of sad to clip him short.

Has anyone used Vaseline for hairballs? If so how much should I be giving?

Thanks in advance for your replies! cat on moon
[notify]