GO!

Static Fur

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 4:58am PST 
Hunter has medium length fur, and long fur on his tail. He is so static-y! I don't brush him often, as he doesn't matt. When I do however, I actually put his zoom groom under water so help with the static. It doesn't last long though, maybe an hour, if that.

I really don't want to rub him down with a dryer sheet. Its really purfumed and what if he ingests that? I also don't want to spray him with any chemicals, that might make him greasy.

Any ideas? This has been going on for a couple of months now, its driving me insane!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 5:16pm PST 
Its only because its winter, and the heat is on, kinda like other stuff gets staticy in the winter, it goes away in the spring. What we do, when we wash, is use a little bit, very little bit, of conditioner, but that is followed by extra vinger rinse. Its a fine line, in the winter, you don't want the static fur, but you don't want them greasy or the fur weighed down either.

I tend to go on the side, of not very much too much conditioner, its even harder, with the long haired kitties, as their fur tends to get greasy. So what I do is, between classes, if his fur is starting to get staticy, is immurse my hands in water, and just rub my hands down the lenght of him, but like you said, it only lasts a few hours, or a few classes. Another thing I do, if the water is not working, I use the Pantene leave in conditioner. But only spray, just a "touch" on your hands, rub them together, then rub both hands down the length of him, follow with a hand towel, rub in the lenght of him, let dry, then comb.

But that ya gotta be careful of too, too much, and their fur is greasy. If the static starts early in the show, I use the Pantene, then I use the water the rest of the day, depends on when it strikes.

I have seen some use the dryer sheet, I won't, not going to take the chance he licks it, and gets sick, not worth a few higher placings.

They do make specific static products, for show kitties, tried them, they just made his fur greasy and weighed down, the pantene works better. Hope this helps. waveway to gohug
[notify]