GO!

Cat Dandruff

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Farrah Jaqua

Innocent and- wise all at the- same time

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '12 10:21am PST 
I just adopted a six year old American shorthair. She's beautiful and very loving and we couldn't be happier with our new little girl but she has a big dandruff problem. She is not over or under weight. The two year old we have that looks just like her does not have this issue at all. My husband and I are looking for solutions for her dandruff problem. Is there anything we can do or any products people have used with success. We are currently in the process of ordering better food for them. We are getting nature balance wet and dry food in hopes to give them a healthier diet/life. We currently live in Germany and it is the winter months so I'm thinking the dandruff might be because if the cold. She has 24/7 access to water and we brush her often. Thanks for the help! Meow!kitty

Edited by author Mon Jan 16, '12 10:36am PST

[notify]

Hanna *I- miss you my- big girl!

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 8:07am PST 
My Hanna (an angel now) had dandruff. Nothing would get rid of it. I would brush her and it would actually seem to get worse. The one suggestion I have, is to feed her exclusively wet food. Try it out for a bit and see how that works. Maybe she needs higher quality food. shrug
[notify]

Nandi

Purring Machine

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 1:31pm PST 
Mine get the occasional dandruff too but mostly only in the winter months. It's not really too noticeable until I brush or scratch their "butts" (I call it their butt- the lower back right before their tail). I've been thinking about turning up the humidifier to see if that helps any (it helps dry human skin so I don't think it can hurt).
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Thu Jan 19, '12 10:35am PST 
if you can try to keep her on a wet food only diet. Putting the heat on all the time sure doesn't help so it's hard to tell. I'm itching big time no matter how much lotion, oil and whatever else I put on my body. Do you have a humidifier in your house by any chance? Maybe some extra moisture in the atmosphere would help.
[notify]

Farrah Jaqua

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '12 10:06am PST 
Thank you all for your wonderful responses! I am switching her over to very good quality wet food. She will be eating Natural Balance wet food with some dry food here and there. Her dander has actually improved a lot since I first posted this question. It make have been her past owners fault. It was a small and very warm apartment and now she has a big nicely tempertured house. She loves to drink water which is great! Also she gets to spend about an hour total outside on the balcony so maybe the fresh air is doing her some good too. We are very excited to get the new food in the mail very soon. We live overseas so we have to order most cat products online. Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend!kitty
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Sat Jan 21, '12 10:14pm PST 
wave

I wonder if Omega 3 fish oil would help with the dandruff? It wouldn't hurt. Zack and I take it everyday just to be healthy. So do our pawrents. Might help with dry fur issues. This is the one we take:

Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil for Cats

Mommy just adds the correct amount to our food and we gobble it up.

I wonder if stress can help cause that too along with the dry heat.
[notify]

Farrah Jaqua

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '12 12:40am PST 
Hey there Zoey girl! Mom just bought some fish oil last week. She got a whole gallon so we don't have to order more for a long time! We got Alaskan Salmon oil type. We are very finicky little kitties so I hope we like it! She also got us high quality wet and dry food. She will be trying to have us eat more wet food than dry. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Mom had learned so much from Catster!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 3, '12 12:05am PST 
An eon hair can help you for styling. Guess you will like it.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 3, '12 12:06am PST 
An eon hair can help you for styling. Guess you will like it.
[notify]