GO!

Static Kitties

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Silverbelle

The fur makes- the mouse

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 6:03pm PST 
Does anyone know any tricks my Mom could use for reducing static cling on my glossy coat? I've been shying away from being pet because I have so much of a charge built up. Many meow-y thanks!!
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Fri Jan 6, '12 1:53pm PST 
wave

Hi Siverbelle!

Mommy doesnt like the static during the winter at all. It is because the air gets too dry. It has been nice and warm in CA this week so mommy shut off the heat and opened the windows and that helped us. But not everyone can do that.

We found that if our parents wet their hands or our brush just a tiny bit before petting that it really helped. Just a little moisture, not even enough that we noticed.

Anything you can do to make the air less dry like a humidifier would help but we have never used one.

Hopefully other cats can give some more ideas. The water works for us.

big hug
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Sat Jan 7, '12 1:22pm PST 
I can't have static at the cat show because it makes my hair look spiky, and my fur is supposed to be like silk! Meowma uses a grooming product called anti-stat that she found online, and rubbing all over with a dryer sheet is another good way to get rid of static. Hope this helps--who wants to be shocked when the human tries to pet you?
[notify]

ZOEY

Purred: Sat Jan 7, '12 7:14pm PST 
That is great they have a grooming product especially for static.

I disagree about the dryer sheets. I don't think that is a good idea. You are getting whatever the chemicals that the dryer sheets are made of all over their fur and then they lick it and ingest those crappy ingredients. Not healthy. Same as why cats aren't suppose to play with the dryer sheets.
[notify]

ZOEY

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 12:06am PST 
I just came across this link with info on this subject....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4781035_rid-static-cling-cats .html

If the link doesn't work, look for any spaces. I am on my iPad and don't have the code for a direct link.

Hope this helps. It does mention dryer sheets. I still don't like the idea but I guess it must work.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 7:41am PST 
Zoey, I didn't want to come back and be a smarty britches, glad you saw that. I think the thing is, very little of the substance actually sticks on the cat. Like so many things this day, teeny amounts are probably not ever going to build up to harmful levels. Show people have been doing this pretty much forever, and trust me if they had any idea it was making a kitty get sick it would stop. Meowma says I never seem to pay any attention to having been wiped with the sheet.
[notify]

ZOEY

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 10:37am PST 
way to go
Bodrouex

Wishing you all a static free New Year!

big hug

Edited by author Tue Jan 10, '12 10:38am PST

[notify]

Parker

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:46am PST 
Dryer sheets have always worked well for my cats. They're not too fond of smelling like "Mountain Pine" or "Clean Fresh Scent", but it has worked for me for years, and my cats haven't had any adverse reactions to the chemicals... then again, they only get a quick swipe each in the evenings before they crawl on my lap.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:59am PST 
We use (Joico Daily Care leave in detangler/conditioner)lightly misted on brush or misted in your hands rubbed together then pet on the cat.
yes, its a human hair product. We have used it for years now and we are still alive MOL.
Heres a picture of the bottle
http://www.haircarechoices.com/p1233-Daily Care Leave-In Detangler.html
Also we used this product for our cat shows to destatic our furs, you will smell Luscious! And when I say that, not purfumey, or like Mountain pine..its just a very nice clean fresh scent, kinda like fresh laundry on the clothes line. Hows that?

Edited by author Thu Jan 12, '12 12:08pm PST

[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 9:49pm PST 
Please try to find dryer sheets that are scent free. I used to use them too, but the freshener part of them is harmful to cats over time.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2