GO!

best cat hair brush?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby Girl

What's for- dinner tonight?

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 9:11am PST 
we have a friend who's cat sheds EVERYWHERE! he's a short hair tabby and he loves a regular cat brush, but it doesn't seem to do much good - the house is still constantly covered in cat hair! Do you all have any suggestioins on the best way to get all this extra hair off Fred (the cat)?
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 1:24pm PST 
Our favorite brush is the Zoom Groom.

It is inexpensive~ worth a try for sure!
[notify]

Baby Girl

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 5:30pm PST 
Thanks Tasha, we'll give that one a try!hail
[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 11:44pm PST 
I agree that the Zoom Groom is not only cheap and effective, but that most cats enjoy its massaging effect, and it won't damage the fur. Another tip is the occasional bath. I know, I know, most kitties don't like it, but there's nothing like a thorough bath to remove loose and dead hair, and cut the grease and dirt that can lead to mats. I gave Lowell a show bath last weekend (he had't had a bath for around 6 months) and he lost gobs and gobs of fur. True, he's a Maine Coon, and has longer fur than most cats, but even my domestic short hair Spike sheds a lot of his undercoat, all year round but especially in the spring. Shampoos with mixed-in conditioner can lead to a greasy finish to the coat; diluted dish detergent (Dawn is popular) is a convenient option, and I always finish with a white vingegar rinse. A thorough rinse with a hand-held shower head is a must. As for brushes, they are good for getting rid of dust on the coat and distributing the natural oils, but professional breeders and show people swear by their metal combs, especially in the case of a long haired cat. A comb is also effective for getting out the downy undercoat of a short haired cat, and easier to keep clean than a brush. Each cat's coat is different, so try to find the method that works best for you.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Oct 27, '10 2:54pm PST 
I think I bought every brush on the market. Hunter is a medium haired kitty, however he doesn't have an undercoat. His fur is super fine like a baby's hair. I think he is part Angora/Turkish Van. I tried the metal bristle brush, nylon brush, slicker brush. Nothing worked! Finally I got the Zoom Groom! Hunter tolerates it (which is a plus) and it somehow gets the hair. Its almost like static electricity. Its the only brush that has worked for Hunter.

Word of advice, if you can use it outside, or on a porch. Hair goes flying everywhere!!!
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Thu Oct 28, '10 11:04am PST 
Hey, BG! wave

Meowm says a good flea comb is great for getting out the loose hairs, too.

Purrs, Bud!
Coop
[notify]

Baby Girl

Purred: Thu Oct 28, '10 3:22pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions everycat!
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Mon Nov 1, '10 4:32pm PST 
Cats, like horses, shed in the spring, and in the fall. In the spring, they are shedding their winter coat, and in the fall, their summer coat. Show people call it, blowing their coat, and some will not even take their cat out during that time.

So some shedding is normal, but excessive shedding is due to poor diet. You might want to ask them, what they feed, and see if you can get them on a better quality food. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Mon Nov 1, '10 7:24pm PST 
AnnaBelle is short haired but has a bit of an under coat and seems to shed that year round. I tried many different brushes and combs...but the best one we have found is that Zoom Groom.

It even is great to rub on the cat tree or the sofa, cuz it attracts the fur!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Mon Nov 8, '10 12:33pm PST 
We received a zoom groom as a gift and tried it, honestly MOM dont like it, she thinks it pulls out more hair than need be - its all rubber and has rubber nubs, what do you think rubber would do if you massaged it on your head? Our mom thinks it pulls out unnecessary hair, if you think hair if coming off now, when you do Zoom Groom, you better lock your self in a room with a vacuum cleaner to vac everything before you leave, hair will be in the air, on your clothes and flying everywhere.
It makes a MESS ! I would use a regular cat brush first, then a comb.
But thats just us, alot of folks like Zoom Groom give it a whirl, it cant hurt, but dont forget the vacuum. If you have a garage do it in there - if your cat goes outside, do it outside.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2