GO!

I Have Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Sally Maria- (Mama's- Angel)

Mama's angel

Purred: Thu May 8, '08 8:35am PST 
I know how you feel Amber. I had to go to the kitty ER last Thursday night because my mama came home from work and found me struggling to breathe. After spending 12 hours in the oxygen suite and getting a couple doses of Lasix, I feel a lot better. One of my chemo drugs, the steroid, causes fluid retention and for a kitty with HCM, that is bad news. My lungs and abdomen were full of fluid. Now they have to change my steroid and I have to go see the cardiologist so they can adjust my heart meds. I'm back to taking Lasix twice a day too. It's hard to have HCM and it's hard to have cancer, but it's REALLY hard to have them both at the same time!!

I'm keeping my paws crossed for you. I hope you don't have any more relapses and your lungs stay nice and clear. Be a good girl and take your meds. Your meowmy and grandmaw are only doing it because they love you and want you around as long as possible.

Hang in there guys!

Hugs & Purrs!!
[notify]

Caesar - 'Till we are- together

Purred: Thu May 8, '08 9:44am PST 
Dear Sebastian, We are so happy that you are doing better - THANK GOD!!!! Keep us up to date! God bless you and your family! With Love- Caesar, Shadow, Tiger, Seth, Greenlee and their humans!
dancingbig grin
[notify]

Sam

Purred: Mon May 19, '08 4:37pm PST 
Sam (Maine Coon - 4 years old) recommends that HCM parents ask their doctor for an emergency stock of about 15 syringes filled with 12.5 ml of liquid Lasix and a prescription for Nitrobid (a nytroglycerine) .

This is the ideal and most effective emergency kit when my breathing increases to unacceptable proportions. It will usually bring the breathing down to normal.

This has to do with the fact that the Lasix pills only get absorbed slowly and they may also periodically become less effective if the kidneys cannot process all that stuff quick enough. Liquid Lasix is much faster and does not depend on absorption issues.

Within 10-30 minutes you'll see its effect.

During emergencies I usually get a shot every few hours 3 or 4 times during a bad bout and in combiantion with 1/2 inch of nitrobid each time applied on a bare skin spot inside the ear. be careful to clean your hands to avoid Nitrobid related headaches.

Self-made oxygen cages we tried, but none was acceptable for me. I tended to panic and get worse.

My parents are always happy when the breathing is back to about 24 per minute. The worst I got was in the 70s.

Edited by author Mon May 19, '08 4:39pm PST

[notify]

Lewis

I Want to Eat It

Purred: Sun Jul 20, '08 10:08am PST 
I have HCM as well, and was diagnosed last week. It is hopeful to hear of HCM kitties living well beynond their expected prognosis. Our cardiologist has given me a year or two, but we are doing everything we possibly can to fight it. Thanks to Sam's dad, we have so much information that makes us hopeful and he has been an absolute blessing. We are working with U Penn to see if I can get a heart transplant and we will keep you updated. How is everyone else doing??
xoxo Lewis
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sun Jul 20, '08 3:52pm PST 
OH MY we are purring for everyone.

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gus

Purred: Tue Mar 26, '13 4:07pm PST 
Hello! I am new to this site. My rag doll cat was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy when he was just a few months old. I was told by the feline cardiologist that he would live only a few months. Well, he is still here and will be 8 years old in July! He takes both Lasix and Elarapil every day. He gets blood work every 6 months. He is now in some early renal failure. But his heart just keeps on ticking. Just recently changed him over to a new food for cats with cardiac issues. My point is that it is hard to predict how long a cat will live with this condition, love them and love them some more!
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Tue Mar 26, '13 5:19pm PST 
Hi Sebastian. I had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy too. I had a lot of other complicated issues and only lived several months after the diagnosis, but again I had kidney failure and a tumor behind my eye. We effectively managed the cardiomyopathy with no issues through medication. We used pill pockets to get me to eat them.
I run the Hazel Lucy's Purr List for kitties in Need of Purrs and I have added you to it. I hope you feel back to normal in no time and have a very long life.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3