GO!

Instinct canned food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:14pm PST 
I took my cat Beep in for a long overdue check up, complete with blood work, last week, all of which came out great. The vet, who is a holistic vet among the practice that also has traditional vets, he was telling me that he prefers Instinct over Wellness, which I have been feeding Beep. It was mind boggling to me to see a vet who was knowledgeable about pet food as most vets just say "feed science diet" that they sell. He knew all of the cat food companies, where they were made, all about them, it was very refreshing. Anyway, he prefers Instict canned over Wellness. He said Wellness Core is good, but he still prefers Instict, from Nature's Variety. So I got a few small cans and have been gradually mixing it in their old food, and they do like it. I was just wondering if anyone else feed this food and what they think of it? They only had the tiny 3 ounce cans at the store I went to, which was a bit of a bummer, hoping I can find larger cans. He was telling me that he believes nutrition is the key to controlling most of the problems that cats encounter, just like in people, and that with the healthy diets, he is seeing cats live longer and longer and not have the kidney issues, and UTI's and diabetes. He was so proud of how well I am taking care of my kitties and how healthy their coats were....like velvet. So I'm a little hesitant to change the food, I actually had not been feeding Wellness Core, but regular Wellness, only chicken, beef and turkey though, no fish. I thought I'd ask my cat peeps what they thought about this.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Apr 1, '13 4:11am PST 
Hi Beep! I feed NV Instincts canned food to our 4 boys and have been doing so for at least 3 years. NV sells the food in 3oz, 5.5 oz and 13.2oz sizes. I usually buy the 13.2 oz "dog" cans since I have the 4 cats to feed. The great thing about NV Instinct is that the "dog" and "cat" forumulas are exactly the same, you can compare the ingedients yourself and confirm that with the company. Buying the larger sized cans saves a bit of money, although Instincts is a very expensive food no matter which size you choose to buy.

I like that Insinct has a wide vairety of proteins to choose from. Our cats absolute favorites are the lamb and rabbit, but they also really like the pork (hard to find) and venison a lot. They are on and off with the duck and chicken and no one really likes the beef very much. I've never tried the salmon flavor. Be aware that each of the protein formulas costs a different price. Beef and chicken are the cheapest and the rabbit is out of the world expensive.

Insinct also now has some Limited Ingredient formulas, lamb, duck, and turkey. I bought a can of the turkey to try out and none of my cats would eat it.

Look for an individually owned pet food store near you as many of them carry NV Instinct. PetCo also carries Instinct, but PetSmart doesn't. It's kind of strange that you were only able to find the 3oz cans, that's going to add up to a lot on money if you stick to buying them long term. If you would be interested in ordering on line, wag.com has good prices.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Apr 1, '13 9:08am PST 
Human feeds Instinct big grin

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/

It's a good brand, though sometimes a can will have too many visible veggies inside shrug

The Instinct canned for dogs is the exact same thing as the cat ones, just in a bigger can size. For multi cat household it makes more sense to buy the bigger can sizes.

Independent non-chain pet stores will often special order larger can sizes and/or cases of food for you. Just ask smile Petco and other big chain stores won't do this shrug
[notify]

Beep

Purred: Mon Apr 1, '13 2:17pm PST 
Interesting. Thank you so much, I did not know this about the dog and cat food. I did actually buy some of the dog food for my doberman today, I got the prairie one. My vet said that one was not as good, but she is used to eating Natural Balance with like sweet potato and lamb, so I was cool with it not being just meat. I found a Petco that has all the different kinds for cats! I found the rabbit, which the vet was very pleased with and Beep had that for dinner just now and LOVED it. I got some of the duck, venison, lamb one beef and a chicken too. We'll see what she likes. I did not realize the dog food was the same, so I will check into that, I think going that route may be a good thing. I have found that they eat a lot less when they eat a really good quality food. My kitten Stephano, is a piglet though, he would eat 24/7 if I let him. The dog liked the prairie one that I gave her today and is also passed out right now. I am going to the online place to see about getting it there, I did see at pet food direct it was on sale right now, so I might just order that. Thanks everyone!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Apr 1, '13 4:59pm PST 
The Prarie line has grains in it shrug Instinct is the grain-free line and the most ideal one to feed.

Dogs are ok with grains and carbs in their diet. They are not strict carnivores like cats. It probably makes sense to buy the big cans of Instinct for dogs and feed it to everyone smile

Instinct has a new pork variety and salmon variety out but we haven't seen either at the pet stores yet shrug The rabbit one can be hard to find sometimes.
[notify]

Beep

Purred: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:13pm PST 
That is just what the vet said, about being ok for dogs, but grains not the best choice for cats. I love that idea, buying the bigger cans for the dogs and feeding it to everybody smile Thanks for that idea! And they did have the pork one today at Petco.....I didn't buy that one because, honestly, I have never fed them pork so I wasn't so sure about it, but I did get the rabbit one, and they loved it smile
[notify]

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:58am PST 
I also eat NV, but not the rabbit! It is sourced from China. frown
[notify]

Beep

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:42am PST 
Ugh....China??? Just the rabbit??? Please don't tell me all of that other food is from China also....at these prices, I don't get it.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:25am PST 
No, as far as I know, only the rabbit is from China. I still buy it occasionally, but because of the sourcing, price, and difficulty of finding it, I don't get it too often. NV claims that the rabbit farm(s) they source from are well regulated, but...

Don't be prejudiced against the pork flavor. My cats are actually mostly raw fed and I've been feeding them raw pork with no problems; the cooked pork in canned cat food isn't going to be harmful to your cats and pork is actually a considered a low allergan food. My guys give the pork flavor all paws up.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Beep

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:58pm PST 
I'll have to pick up a can of the pork and give it a try. I did buy a few rabbit and gave her some of it today, and she did gobble it up. She was less enthusiastic about the duck one though.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2