GO!

Best Diet Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Mar 31, '13 8:22pm PST 
I wanted to add too, that I never mean to be mean or bossy, or pushy about my feelings on dry food vs. wet food. I hope that I didn't sound that way. Just knowing what I have seen my cats, and friends and family members cats go through who are on all dry...it makes me really want to spread the word about nutrition and health for cats.
[notify]

Rory

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 2:33pm PST 
It's not coming across as that way as all. I tried the soft food, she won't eat it. I have a stubborn kitty smile

Rory has an appointment Thursday with her vet, I'm going to talk to her about putting her on that Stella raw food diet. How do you guys get over the fact that its raw? The thought of it grosses me out. I worry that if there is a recall on it because something was diseased both of of my lovely kitties could get sick.
[notify]

Charlie

Puppy

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:26pm PST 
I always heard that soft food will rot your cats teeth, how true is that?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:50pm PST 
Charlie, it's a big myth about soft foods causing dental problems shrug Bad dental hygiene causes teeth problems, ie not brushing the teeth to remove food particles and bacteria. Hard crunchy food dose nothing to clean teeth shrug Think of trying to keep Human teeth clean and healthy by only chewing on hard pretzels shrug Here is info about dental health and food: http://catinfo.org/#Dental_Disease

Rory, a raw food diet is the most ideal for cats way to go Some people may be uncofortable with feeding raw food to a pet but most get over it quickly. Stella and Chewy's raw food is nugget shaped like dry food so just think of it as healthier "dry food" smile Stella and Chewy's posts their food safety results on their web site. The bag of food has a batch number so you just look for that number on the web site http://www.stellaandchewys.com/safety.php

Edited by author Fri Apr 12, '13 5:56pm PST

[notify]

Rory

Purred: Thu Apr 18, '13 6:52pm PST 
I took Rory to the vet today and my vet is putting her on a special hard food that I will probably spend an arm and leg on and have to get from the vets office. I mentioned Stella's but my vet told me to try the one she knows works first. She had never heard of Stella's. If the one from the vet doesn't work I'm going to try Stella's. She also recommended that I get her one of those Slim Cat feeding balls so she will have no choice but to move to get her food. Fingers crossed!

Since Rory is going on special food, I think I'm going to take the dive and switch Charlie to a soft food diet. Fingers crossed again!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 19, '13 3:56am PST 
There are lots of brands of food out there that many people have never heard about. Vets often push the prescription food because they know very little about proper nutrition and some even get paid by the pet food company to sell the food shrug

A proper diet will help any cat lose extra weight. That would be canned or raw food and controlling daily calorie intake plus getting plenty of excercise. I don't think pushing a ball around to get food out will help much shrug

If you want to feed Stella and Chewy's or another brand, go right ahead and feed it way to go It's your cat after all. The vet may not like it but can't force you to feed something else.

Just my thoughts on that smile I know there are people who are uncomfortable with going against the vet's advice.
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:21pm PST 
Whhen my old kitty, Cupcake, needed to lost weight, canned food was not an option. We wound up gradually decreasing her intake of kibble to 1/4 cup twice a day, which kept her lean and healthy until age 16.5.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 9:48pm PST 
i learned the hard way that diet dry food can harm a cat. Tiny almost died from the fiber in diet dry food. My cats are on a strict wet or raw only. And it wasn't easy to convert them, but it was for the best.

i put a obese female cat on wet only and she lost weight rather nicely.

i dont think wet food rots teeth. However, i do give a few kibble treats. after i brush the cats teeth i give them one or two dental treats.despite what pet food companys say, dry food alone does not clean the teeth. if you want your cat to have healthy teeth, the teeth need to be rid of tartar by brushing. I also might note that my cats are 7 years old and have great teeth.

whatever you choose, i hope you stay away from anything thats called 'diet' or 'light' dry food. it can be so harmfull.

Edited by author Thu May 9, '13 9:52pm PST

[notify]

Snowball

The Black Shadow

Purred: Tue Oct 8, '13 11:02am PST 
Perhaps try a leaner protein, such as rabbit? Rabbit can be very expensive and hard to find, though.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2