GO!

Prescription food question

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Harley

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:50am PST 
My cat is currently on prescription food for his bladder. My question is do I have to get it through the veterinarian or can I get it somewhere else? I have noticed that it is cheaper at other places than the vet's office. I went to get more food today and the vet was out. When I tried to get a prescription for the food he wouldn't give it to me but instead gave me a small bag of food to get by until he gets more in. He said that legally he couldn't give me a prescription. Is that true??

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 11:51am PST

[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:50pm PST 
I am irritated with your vet. If it was that important, the food, I'd have made sure that you got it, no matter how you had to go and get it. First of all, a bag of food implies that he has your cat on dry food, which for bladder issues is bad. I know they make dry food for urinary issues, but the best food for your cat is a good quality wet/canned food. One of my male cats almost died from urinary blockage, and the vets were not the ones who steered me to a canned only diet, but thankfully a holistic vet (on a trip with my dog she schooled me on wet food for my cats), and my boy has not had any issues either. My cat was very ill. I never had him on the disgusting vile that the vet gives. Instead, he was on wellness (no fish ones) canned, either turkey, chicken or beef, with some water mixed in with the food. You will notice when your cat eats dry only, they drink water like crazy, but when they eat canned, with some water, they actually drink very little water, because they are getting it in their food, because the food is like %78 water. If I were you, I would go to a pet store that sold good quality food, like wellness, or natural balance, and get those for your cat and mix water in the food and give him that. It is sometimes really hard to convert a cat who has eaten only dry to wet, but some are piglets and will eat anything. Yes, dry is more convenient for us, but way worse for the cats. They do not need to have dry food out at all times. My house cats only eat two times a day, and they don't eat a lot, like 1/3 of a tuna can size can of cat food at a time. They have not had any bladder issues since we have been feeding them this way (knock on wood). Get your kitty some good food, he will love you for it and I just bet you that you will not have any more problems with UTI's if you do this. NO treats either, not the dry ones, they are full of sodium and yucky by products too. Good luck with your baby, I have been down this road and it was very expensive and I didn't know any of this either, but you, and he, will be so much better if he is on a good healthy diet of canned food. Read up on it if you need to be sure. Keep us posted, I want to hear that he is doing better, and poop on your vet!
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:02pm PST 
I'm irritated with my vet as well. I was feeding canned as well as Blue Buffalo before the bladder issues. I tried the prescription diet and it cleared him up. As soon as I took him off the prescription diet the bladder issues came back. I'm really confused about what to do.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:27pm PST 
Well, I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, I think maybe there is a time and place for that perscription food, and maybe he should be in it until he is healthy. Maybe he needs to be on a good canned that is low in ash, I'm not exactly sure what the percentage of ash it should contain, just that lower is better, and that fish is not good for bladder issues. I know some people are crazy about Blue Buffalo, but honestly, when I tried it, my cat INHALED water, and so did my dog when I tried her on it, making me think it was really high in sodium. I did not care for it, I think I used up what I bought and did not buy it again. I just was not impressed with it. And my sister in law feeds her dachsund/chi mix blue buffalo, and his skin is awful and his fur is like straw. I never experienced that when my pets were on wellness. My SIL does also feed a lot of crummy treats, so it could be that that is causing the skin issues and rough fur. I just know my pets were like velvet on wellness, and they are on the Newman's Own too. I have a friend who had to do the perscription food for diarrhea too and the second she took her cat off it came back, so I do think there is maybe a time for that stuff, and maybe your cat does need to be on it until he is healed up. Can't he be on the wet food though? They didn't have the food in canned variety? I would think you could go to another vet and get it, even if they needed to call your vet and say, we have it, can we sell it to her? I had never heard you had to have permission to buy that crap. If it were my cat, I would maybe do the perscription stuff only, until he is well, and then a good quality canned only. And no dry. I"m telling you, I believe it is the dry that causes all the problems. I so hope your kitty gets back on track soon.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:05pm PST 
You can buy prescription food online from places like PetFoodDirect.com They may ask for the vet's phone number so they can call to confirm that your cat needs the prescription food.

But you really don't need prescription junk for urinary issues shrug WATER is key to a healthy urinary system and body way to go Have you read the info at Catinfo.org about urinary tract health and diet? http://catinfo.org/#Cystitis_ I think Dr. Lisa says it's ok to temporarily feed rescription diet to dissolve struvite crystals (or is it the other kind?) thinking

Any brand of canned food works. You don't necessarily need foods that are urinary tract formulas. Add some extra water to the canned food to ensure good water intake.
[notify]

Sherpa

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:27pm PST 
I eat a prescription canned food for my bladder issues, and haven't had a problem since starting it!
[notify]