GO!

Hi I'm new :)

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Mon Nov 12, '12 12:37pm PST 
Hi,

I'm new around here. I quite often browse catster and love looking up all the different breeds. It gets me thinking though, I've never had a cat before, maybe when I leave home as boyfriend is a cat lover.

Which cat breeds would be suitable for me? I've not had much to do with cats growing up, so gentle, affectionate quiet docile small types. But I thought I'd ask your expert advice!!
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Mon Nov 12, '12 5:14pm PST 
Coming from a kitty that was orphaned at 2 and a half weeks old, I'm very happy that my humans rescued me and took such good care of me.

Every breed has its charm, but in momma's opinion, shelter cats are awesome! The shelter has cats of all ages, and all personality types, from sweet and cuddly, to hyper and playful! Not only will you be saving the life of the cat you adopt, but you'll also be making room in the shelter for other animals in need too!

Sometimes you can even find purebreeds at the shelter too!
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:24am PST 
Our advice: Get an older cat. Why? Becuase many times they are more gentle, require less of a 'learning curve' and are good for Cat people novices. Mommy's first real kitten was CK...and don't get us wrong, but CK was alot of fun and alot of work for all of us...and he still has alot of the 'young cat' things going on.
on the other hand, Emily Rose, our latest foster who just got adopted was the 'purrfect cat'. Gentle, soft pawed, chatty, loving, and very well behaved, she would be a great first cat for someone.
Our advice is to work with a small shelter or rescue that know the cats. Go and spend some time with them...but lean toward older cats who's personalities are known. You will be glad you did.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 14, '12 8:19am PST 
Hi smile

Thanks for the replies. I have thought of this before, I think its a great idea getting a rescue cat or kitten, as the shelter will know the cats and their personalities. Hopefully something me and my boyfriend will do when we eventually get our own place.

My boyfriend loves cats and had a very sweet tabby boy cat when he was a child and he misses having a cat. I am a complete cat novice and a bit scared lol. But other peoples cats tend to like me, the one's i've seen, they tend to come right up, hop up onto my knee and purr away at me. lol
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Wed Nov 14, '12 2:24pm PST 
We cats know a good person when we see one. ^.~

Feel free to ask any questions you might have! Doing your research before hand will make you more prepared when the time comes when you can have a cat.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 1:17pm PST 
Thank you smile

I seem to like tabby cats, but i've been researching into the different breeds. I love ragdolls so far, they seem ideal for me, quiet, affectionate and docile and that they are low level as well.

what other cats are friendly and low level? I also like the look of tiffanie cats as well.

Edited by author Sun Nov 18, '12 1:18pm PST

[notify]

Kat

Dressed to Kill

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:36pm PST 
From my point of view, shelter cats are the best! No matter the size, age, or coloring all of them are so unique and need a loving home!smile
[notify]

Kat

Dressed to Kill

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:38pm PST 
P.S. I always had a soft spot for Ragdolls, too!laugh out loud
[notify]

Purred: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:16pm PST 
smile

Also, what breeds DON'T like climbing to high places and are more floor cats? And which are better lap cats?
[notify]

Dora

Little Explorer

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:52pm PST 
To be honest I can't think of a breed of cat that isn't likely to climb on things. But I am no cat breed expert so I could be wrong.

I do agree with everyone's suggestion on looking into adopting a cat. There are so many different types or rescues out there today and I would suggest looking at a great variety of different rescues & shelters. A great website to find some near you is www.petfinder.com . Also if a rescue/shelter has cats that are currently in foster care or have just come from it that can be a plus because the foster parent can tell you how the cat was in a home environment.

Because this will be your first cat I would also suggest maybe leaning towards an adult cat however there is nothing wrong with getting a kitten. As someone who currently has a spunky little 6 month old fuzz ball they are a great deal of fun but she can be quite a hand full. And I could see a kitten being a tad overwhelming at times for a feline novice. Though if you are still wanting a cat with some spunk and playful behavior getting a young adult (about a year or 2) will give you a cat that is more mature but still has a little bit of kitten-ness left in them.

And like was mentioned before if you have question what so ever about cat ownership before you get a cat please do ask! This is the place! big grin Lots of great advice from friendly cat people!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2