GO!

I need to fly to Europe @_@

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bandit

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 1:43pm PST 
Meows!
My mommy and her boyfriend (he is my favorite daddy)visit each other back and forth from Denmark. They want us to be a family together and they decided that we have to go over to Denmark. I am learning to meow in Danish.

I am scared because it sounds like I can't go with mommy in the cabin. I am 17 lbs and every where she calls says that I have to be smaller or fit in to a really small carrier under the seat. If I lose a couple of pounds she could stuff me into a Sherpa bag that is 16x10x9 in and put me under the seat. Has she looked at me? I am big pawed.

Mommy said that she doesn't know what to do. She called some pet relocation services but doesn't know who is good and who to trust.

Any cats out there that have experiences to share with pet relocation, charter flights, sneaking in cabin (mommy loves to fly via SAS)? Any recommendations for me, especially from NY to Denmark?

Meows,
Bandit
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:53pm PST 
How exciting for you and your Mom, Bandit!

Mom doesn't have any experience with flying with pets or relocating pets. But here is a carrier to check out:

The Sleepy Pod Air

Cat Weight up to 17.5lb

Meets major airline carry-on pet regulations by being able to compress in length from 22" to 19" when one side is compressed, or 16" when both sides are compressed.
Expanded 22×10.5×10.5"

Compressed 16×10×8"

There is a whole page of info in the link above. Hope this can work out for you!
[notify]

Bandit

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 3:23pm PST 
Thanks Zack! Mommy will look into it. The big problem is that both the bag and me have to weigh 18lbs combined!!But maybe we can make it work.

Any other kitties have stories to share? Meows!

Purrs,
Bandit
[notify]

Tigger- ♥- Angel DB- #33a

Whatever, I do- what I want!

Purred: Wed Aug 1, '12 10:03pm PST 
Hi Bandit,

Just a thought. Are humans allowed to purchase a seat for a small pet in a carrier? I have no idea, but it's worth looking into.
[notify]

Bandit

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:48am PST 
Unfortunately, cats are not allowed to purchase a seat. Bummer!
Mommy looked at the sleepypod but she doesn't think that I will really fit into it well, especially when it is compressed. It would not be fun to be squished like that even for a short while.

There is one airline that we could take, and go through Canada which complicates things more. The other option is to hire a pet relocation company. Mommy's friend moved a doggie from Australia to England and had a good experience.

She is still thinking about what to do. Some people say that bringing the kitty in cabin is the best but some people say that that is best for the person so they are not worried but not comfy for the kitty. Especially a big boy like me.

Mommy might go to the airport with me before we buy the ticket to talk over options. I am supposed to be able to fit in the bag comfortably if we go in cabin.

Meows,
Bandit
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:15am PST 
Hi Bandit!

How long do you have before you travel? You will most likely HAVE to lose some weight...sorry about that. However, we just moved from Florida to Bucharest and I rode under the seat in a Sherpa Medium sized carrier (Bandit travels in one that size also and he's 14 lbs). and did just fine. It was a bit cramped, however I did survive the ordeal. Look into flying on Lufthansa (they are very pet friendly), and MAKE SURE you have ALL of your required paperwork, including the APHIS 7001 (some vets think you do not need it, but you do). Tell your mommy athat she should be able to print all of the needed documents off of the USDA/APHIS website. Let's be real, it will be an unhappy 24 hours, but in the end you will be soooo happy to be a family that you won't even think on it too much. Pawmail if you have specific questions about my trip.

Headbonks and sandpaper kisses!

Chiquitita
[notify]

Bandit

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 1:29pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! After a lot of thought and research, Mommy is going to use a pet relocation service. They have a door to door service and have lots of experience. They seem really nice and will take care of all the paperwork. It is a bit expensive but Mommy said that is why she has no human kids, so that she can spend money on fun things and me. The service only uses certain airlines that are super good with pets.

Mommy is going to buy me a crate and then we are going to practice hanging out in it and taking rides. Mommy doesn't think that Canada was a good option and I can't lose 3lbs by the time we go, it would be kind of a lot in a couple of months. I lost 2 pounds in the last 2 years though! I am a big boy.
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 12:22am PST 
Happy travels Bandit (that's my brofur's name- he lives with mommy's mommy and my cousin Fluffy- long story, but Fluffy recently lost his sistfur Trouble and is not happy as an only cat...Fluffy is strange!). It sounds like that is a wonderful solution. It has taken me much longer than usual to adjust to our new home, mommy says it's because of my advanced years, however I am beginning to really feel at home; especially because our stuff finally arrived so there are more familiar smells here now.

Best of Luck, head bonks, sandpaper kisses, and of COURSE nippy balls! cheer
Chiquitita
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Mon Sep 17, '12 7:30pm PST 
Hey bandit

we hope we are not too late to help out!
mommy flew with us all the way from Israel to the east side, after much consideration and using a pet relocation service, we decided the safest way to fly her is with the german airline lufthansa. we heard alot of positive reviews about their human and feline services, and they truly were super great; taking care of all of us, and they were super nice to US (Anna and Katie) who had to go in the cabin with mommy, to make sure she is well taken care of. any way we think she was, she seemed to get some really great food choices during the flight and she seemed pretty pleased with the choices.

the only down side we had was the layover. but the plus side of it is that during the layover we were being taken care of at the great animal lounge lufthansa has in the airport (we had a stop in frankfurt).

we so recommend thinking of a diet to maybe lose a few pounds (we recommend raw meat diet - Lucky the oldest of us lost 8 pounds in only 4 months after mommy transfered us to raw) an over weight kitty is not a healthy and happy kitty!

if despite your mommy wishes you will decide to fly trunk side, there are plenty of great cages, if you can get them we recommend the italian company "ferplast" cages, though we do know they are not common in the US. if it is a pretty short flight than the atlas 40 should be enough, if it is longer than 8 hours than it is best to get the Atlas 50. if not any strong plastic dog carrier will do.
and you mustn't forget to put holes and tie with those plastic handcuffs, for extra strength so the cage won't, Isis forbids, open up.

if you have any more questions will be happy to help out.
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '12 8:58am PST 
oops, by east side we mean the east coast. red face
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2