GO!

Need advice when traveling and leaving the cats by themselves

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chai

Momma's Girl

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 6:48am PST 
My husband and I love to travel, but usually it's only a night or two and we just give our two kitties extra food and water. They are a little mad when we come home, but they manage. We are going on a 4 night trip in a few weeks and I have a friend of mine stopping by one night to check on them. We are also trying to plan an eight day trip at the end of the year and I am already freaking out about leaving them all alone for both trips. I hate leaving them and it causes me to enjoy the trip less because I feel so guilty. My kitties usually sleep with me and hang out with me most of the night when I get home from work. How do you deal with feeling bad about leaving them for so long and how do you handle their care? We live about 4 hours from any family and that is too much to ask our friends to do.

Thanks!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:52am PST 
I don't recommend leaving your kitties alone for four nights and especially not for eight. What if the become ill or injured during that time? And can you imagine the litter boxes after that amount of time? I have a sitter come in once a day. You should, too, or at least every other day to make sure they're all right and give them fresh food and water and scoop the boxes.
[notify]

Chai

Momma's Girl

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:10am PST 
I did not say I was leaving them alone for 4 or 8 days. I am having a friend come in on the 4 days, but I was asking for advice on what other kitty mommies do when they are gone for long trips. I feel so guilty not being there myself but I plan on having someone look in on them. I am just looking for advice.
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 11:14am PST 
Hi Chai wave Our Mom also feels guilty whenever she has to leave us for overnight trips, I guess that goes along with being a pet parent.

We have a relative who comes by 1-2 times a day to feed us and scoop our litter boxes when the pawrents are away, and we have had a pet sitter on a couple of occasions when the relative was not available. Mom is more comfortable leaving us in the care of someone we know, but we had a good experience with the pet sitters, so we wouldn't hesitate to use one again. Don't know if you have friends with pets who can recommend a pet sitter? You can also check with your vet's office, they can often recommend someone.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 11:28am PST 
Sorry, Chai, my mom misunderstood your post. she says she always feels guilty when she leaves on long trips and thinks about us all the time and can't wait to get home to us. When she does get back, we ignore her as punishment.

She's had the same cat sitter for several years and knows he's very reliable, so that eases her mind when she's away. Mom used to do cat sitting years ago, and she made sure to go beyond just feeding and scooping. She would play with the cats that wanted to play or just sit on the couch and let them sit with her for a while and get loved. We three, however, don't like strangers, so the faster the cat guy leaves, the better!
[notify]

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Thu Jul 12, '12 8:01am PST 
Hi! Ie three dogs and two cats! We have a doggie door, so when we take a trip we have a neighbor (a young guy, my DH's cousin) stop by twice a day (morning and evening) and feed+check on everyone. We ask that he:

1. Feed twice a day
2. Walk the dogs once a day (or play with them in the yard)
3. Clean the cat box once a day

And then we give him some money. smile

It works great for us!!!!
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 9:08am PST 
I wouldn't ever leave them-at this point, not even overnight. I ahve medically fragile cats and a rambunctious 1 year old.

Do yourself a favor, speak with your vets office and see if anyone there does petsitting. My wonderful and extremely fantastic Vet tech helped us out.

If you are in the Queens NY area, I can give you information on who I've used, and liked.

I believe that having somoene you know who's 'cat oriented' will give a good peace of mind.
[notify]

♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 4:59pm PST 
When my mom leaves us for more than an overnight away, she has a friend from her work who comes once a day to feed, check water, and make sure we are all okay. She leaves emergency numbers handy (place where she is going, cell phone, vet's number) and her friend often stays to watch a movie with us (she leaves him treats in the refrigerator so he stays a while). If he isn't going to be available, she has the number of a service that takes care of pets. Maybe you should check and see if there are any qualified pet sitter services in your area? They usually cost a bit, but they check on your pets and usually are qualified to do things like give medicines, if your pet takes something regularly. Remember to look into them before using them, to make sure they are good.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sat Jul 14, '12 3:27am PST 
We just went away for a week. I got my husband's sister a plane ticket to come here. She has grand kids here so that works well. Then, I have my neighbor's adult daughter who lives right next door to come in. I do have a daughter but she lives an hour away and is very busy.
I do pay the neighbor's daughter money to come in. I leave emergency numbers- the vet's number, an all night pet hospital's number, my daughter's number, my cell number, and the
poison center's number. I write all instructions down. My cell phone number and email address are given too. I leave enough food for four more days than we are going. I also leave all play toys where the sitter can use them as well as the cats. If I worry before leaving, they go to the vet for a check up. It helps with peace of mind. Then, on my bed when I leave, I leave some of my clothes, not many that have my smell on them. It helps them, believe it. I do leave extra litter for the sitter. If you don't have a sitter now, check Angie's list or a recommendation from a friend. Have them sit for a practice run.....Then, enjoy your trip knowing that you covered all bases.....We had a wonderful time.....and cats did well even in the heat wave. I left instructions about air conditioning too. Since the cat sitter in next door, she turned it on for the hot hours.
With a medical cat, I hire someone who can give the meds. ....
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 10:03am PST 
You can find professional pet sitters in your area here
National Association of Professional Pet Sitters or PSI
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2