GO!

Has anyone flown on Lufthansa?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:48am PST 
Mommy is at it again! We are moving to Romania in August and we are booked to fly on Lufthansa from Florida to Frankfurt, and then from Frankfurt to Bucharest. I am on mommy's ticket and will be traveling in the cabin. From what mommy has read, and from what other people have told her this airline is extremely pet friendly, there is a pet lounge in the Frankfurt airport. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this airline we would love to hear your thoughts. Our flight will be 9 hours to Frankfurt and then 2 1/2 to Bucharest. I fly very well, so we are not too worried about me crying too much, and we read some really good tips in a related post, but if anyone has any advice we are open to new thoughts. For those who don't know me, I am a 16 year old Calico on anti-seizure meds, so if you have any ideas about how to get my morning meds in me if they won't let us take a can of food we would be open to hearing them. Though, worse case mommy can dissolve my meds in water.

OK, thanks in advance for any responses!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 1:41am PST 
Our mom used to work in domestic airlines in the U.S. but can't claim to have any experience transporting kitties on Lufthansa. They do sound great for us to fly on, though!

As far as your meds go, have you tried Pill Pockets? They've been a big hit with the cats in our family. way to go

Good luck on your move! Keep us posted! hug

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 8:00am PST 
Hi Beatrice! Thanks for the tip, we are going to try the pill pockets. The only challenge is that my meds are in a capsule that needs to be opened and divided into 8 doses (with spills however, we usually average 6). Yet, and correct me if I'm wrong, the pill pockets are soft and can be flattened out, have some of the powder poured in, and then re-balled.
Headbonks!
Chiquitita cheer
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 4:22pm PST 
Yeah, Pill Pockets are very soft--we've actually found that the ones made for dogs are even softer than the ones for cats. The dog ones are a lot cheaper per ounce, too! They're bigger, of course, but you just break off a piece in the size you need.

Let us know if it works for you, Chiquitita! hug

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 7:04am PST 
I hope the Pill Pockets work for you, Chiquitita. I'd check to see if there would be any problems getting Pill Pockets past security, e.g., should it be an unopened package? It would be awful if security confiscated your Pill Pockets!

If your mom can't bring canned food for you, I wonder if the moist food that comes in a pouch would be acceptable. thinking

Edited by author Tue May 22, '12 7:06am PST

[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Wed May 23, '12 4:50am PST 
Thanks for the advice! The soft food in a pouch might be OK, mommy's looking into it. In April she helped her mommy move to Florida and wanted to bring back some of my favorite flavors of food and the airport here took it away because you can't bring pet food into Mexico!

hug
[notify]