GO!

cat tranquilizers and traveling

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Mocha

Purred: Wed May 9, '12 12:54pm PST 
I just made a 10 hour drive with Mocha which included an overnight stay at a hotel. I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it turned out alright. I did dose her with Rescue Remedy, though. Instead of using a standard cat carrier, we got a medium sized floppy-foldable-kennel from Walmart for $16. There was enough room for a small litter box w/out a lid, food, water, and room for her to lay around in. I did put her in a kitty harness with leash as well as a collar and ID tag.

She meowed for a little bit, and got carsick once (windy roads), but otherwise, it was an incredibly uneventful trip. I did have a couple of towels in there for her too.

When we got to the hotel, I let her out and about and she did fine. I really think it had to do with the fact that she wasn't as cramped up and such from the standard carrier.

The trip back home went even smoother! No Rescue Remedy, just put her in the kennel, and she did amazing! No meowing, and she even ate, drank, and used the litter box!
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:28am PST 
I am on meds and 16, so tranquilizers are out of the question, however, I can recommend "Quiet Moments" Natural Herbal Calming Spray" it contains simulated feline pheromones. Mommy sprays it on my carrier blanket 1/2 an hour before I goes in, and it is very soothing. I have been in several airports and will be flying twice this summer. One thing mommy has noticed is that her imagination is WAY worse than the reality of traveling with me. The truth is, when I am scared all I want is to stay near mommy, once we are on the plane I go right to sleep. I agree that putting a blanky over the crate to create a "den" is an excellent idea; it also cuts out the amount of outside stimuli that might over stimulate a younger cat like you. Oh, and one more suggestion, there are calming cat treats that work really well for my brofur Bandit (he's 10, but still VERY kitten like), and Bandit is afraid of EVERYTHING!

You have gotten a bunch of good advice here, I a sure that you will find something that works. Best of Luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! cheer
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2