GO!

cat tranquilizers and traveling

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Count Fasie

Count Fasie is- ready to jazz!

Purred: Mon Apr 16, '12 1:36pm PST 
My husband and I are divorcing and splitting up the cats. My boy is going on a two day car ride and spending the night at a hotel. I plan to ask our vet about tranquilizers but I'd love to hear people's experiences with traveling with their cats.
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 7:59pm PST 
The last time Patricia saw a vet, I said she needs to be sedated to survive a 15-hour car ride (central Ohio to northern Florida). She explained at age 15, Patricia is too old for that because it can cause problems. I was worried she will meow her head off nonstop until she got tired.

Great news! It never happened. As scared as she was, Patricia NEVER meowed in the car. I was surprised. Eventually, she got out of her carrier, which I had to leave open so she could get food and water anytime. But she was too scared to eat and drink when we made several pit stops to feed ourselves or the car.

Your biggest problem is going to be the hotel stay. Patricia was so scared in Marietta, Georgia she went under a chair, behind the nightstand, and under my mom's bed. I strongly recommend booking a Marriott suite if you can because I noticed Patricia was a lot more comfortable there than she was in Marietta. I guess she thought, "This is like home," when she saw a seperate living room.

After three nights at Marriott Suites, it was back to being a scaredy cat for Patricia. She spent the first two days here in her carrier, which I left open in my walk-in closet. Next she went under the bed. It took a full week to get into a normal routine of sleeping ON my bed again.
[notify]

Count Fasie

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '12 5:34pm PST 
He's 4 so age isn't a problem. We have a regular cat carrier for him to travel in. Then for the hotel we have a large dog kennel with space for litter box, food, and water.
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 5:57pm PST 
Has your cat ever traveled in a car before? If not, you may want to take him on some shorter trips just to see how he does in the car. Two of my cats do fine on car trips and do not need to be medicated at all, the other two get a little nervous, so I spray some Feliway on their bedding in their carriers before the trip. I have also used Rescue Remedy which can be effective.

You may have to experiment a little to find what works. I would only consider a sedative from the vet if it were absolutely necessary. You may be surprised and find out he does fine in the car. Don't forget to bring some favorite toys and his blankie in the carrier so he has some familiar smells. Happy travels to you and your kitty wave
[notify]

Slyvy

I will rule the- world right- after a nap

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 6:58pm PST 
I've never been in a hotel but I traveled across the country in the air once. Mommy said I was really, really good.
She packed my favorite-treat-wet noms and my/her blankie.

When I got to the new home, she had my bed ready for me so I had a touch of home.
I seemed to do ok so long mommy was near me. I was 4 and a half then.
[notify]

Count Fasie

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 9:55am PST 
The only time they've been in cars was when they got altered. Otherwise, we used a house call vet as we had no car. My parents are going to be helping me move and we can try some short car rides. I think I'll get some Feliway.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 9:38am PST 
I really don't suggest sedating for travel unless you speak with your vet. We didn't use tranqs on Ruffy when traveling, and my vet says' she's leery of tranqs, and does prescribe us cerenia for nausea in case needed, which does appear to ahve a calming effect.

The reasons she doesn't care for is that tranqs can sometimes not be good for cats, and she doesn't really like to do it when cats are older.

Ruffy was fine with the travel. When the others have had to do short trips, they have been fine.

My suggestion is to get a good size carrier that will accomodate a litter box and a place for kitty to move a bit and lay down.

Make sure car is well ventalated and that cat is never left alone in the car unattended.

We always run the air-or open windows for ventalation.

We feed at 'stops' and there is always water available.

Don't feed too heavy a meal on the road...we feed when we make rest stops, so they have a chance to eat when not moving...

all the best, and lots of purrs.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 2:35pm PST 
Tranquilizers make a cat feel very disoriented and can actually upset them more. Have a blanket handy that you can drape over their carriers to darken them. The "den" atmosphere can be calming.
[notify]

Colby Jack

Cheese Cat

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 6:05pm PST 
I travel about 2 hours with Colby about once a month to visit my parents. He meows less than he used to, but still does. I find the best method is sticking him up front with me in his cat carrier, and facing the gate toward me driving. He can see me, and he tends to quiet down if I just set my fingers on the gate so he can rub his face on them if needed.

I also put a towel (with his scent) inside for comfort and a toy just in case he decides to snuggle.

I've had lots of people tell me to use Benadryl but I just can't see myself doing that to my cat.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Tue May 8, '12 2:16pm PST 
We travels to shows, all over the East Coast, we been 6-7 hrs one way to a show, and we stayed in lots and lots of hotels. We is very glady to tell you hows to do this, but it is long and involved, but it works, and we sleepys the whole way, well, except for tolls and human bathroom/coffee. We gets up, is we there yet, nope, we goes back to sleepys.

We just wants to know, if ya still wants to know, b 4 we types all this out, we is just kittens, and just learning how to types.

The Kittens
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2