GO!

HSUS -- Do a Fact Check!

This Forum is to meow about the very latest and greatest in the cat world: kitty news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; cat-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Catster, please contact us.

PJ *DB #29

Be Unique

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:22am PST 
Catster. I am livid!  The organization with the goal of eliminating all domestic animals under the guise of protecting them has now got Catster helping them!

The Human Society of the United States spends less then one tenth of one percent on animals. They are not associated with your local human societies. Why are you promoting donations of any kind this organization?
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Fri Nov 9, '12 6:16am PST 
Good question.

thinking
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '12 10:21am PST 
Well, I actually have a beef with the ASPCA. I was in their corporate offices in New York City rather recently. Their BRAND-NEW, SLEEK, MODERN offices. All I kept thinking was, "How much did this cost and how many animals could have been saved for the money they must have spent???"

It infuriated me. I support their work, but I won't ever support them with my wallet again. There are much more deserving animal charities who don't waste their money like that.

Purrs,
Coop's mom
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '12 7:21am PST 
Here's an example of how the ASPCA (not the HSUS) is at least helping to save animals, though. I copied one paragraph from the article and have included a link to the entire article below:

"During the four years since the ASPCA targeted Sacramento for help, the agency has awarded local shelters $950,000 in grants that funded spay and neuter programs, advertising campaigns and community adoption events, among other things."

The full article is here:
More pets get out of Sacramento County animal shelters alive
[notify]

Sterling Mithril

Jaws-I\'ll eat- anything!

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:46pm PST 
Uhm...Stupid question, but: what is wrong with the HSUS? Mom sure would like to know, because she gives them LOTS of money. She thought they were one of the best org. to give to. Please inform mom, because she really wants to help animals, and doesn't want to throw her money away.
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:35am PST 
Unless the photos are staged, there are lots of them on Facebook, showing HSUS people rescuing animals after Superstorm Sandy. Just because they don't make donations to local shelters does not mean they are not working for the animals. I believe they're also instrumental in the legal process. There's lots more to helping our nonhuman brethren than giving money to local shelters. I'm sure it would be a good idea to check with whatever organization keeps tabs of such things to find out what percentage of their donations is used for animals and how much for administrative costs. Until that's done, I, for one, won't go around bad-mouthing them.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:11pm PST 
Thank you, Althea. My mom works for The HSUS (she's a writer)and can assure you that everyone there lives and breathes for animals. 77% of funds go directly to programs for animals (direct care, shelter grants and support, education, community programs, legislation work). Their financials are available on the website humanesociety.org.

Rick Berman, the head of the "non-profit" that spreads misinformation about The HSUS, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and other groups, is currently under investigation by the IRS for fraud.
[notify]