GO!

Newbie Cat diarrhea

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '12 8:42am PST 
We have a 2 year old cat we adopted as a kitten from the Humane Society. He always been pretty healthy with the exception of a herpes type virus when he was a kitten. Fast forward to now, we adopted a kitten in November and he is now like 5 mos old. Since bringing this kitten home we have battled diarrhea with the kitten. He tested neg for worms. Plus has been wormed several times. We struggled with keeping our adult cat out of the kitten food (Science Diet) and the kitten out of the adult food (at the time Blue Wilderness/Blue Buffalo). So the vet said for a few months to just feed them both Science Diet kitten. Well that's when the diarrhea started in the adult. I dislike Science Diet so about 3 weeks ago we started Innova (for cats and kittens) and we are still battling diarrhea! Now note my adult has NEVER had an issue with food switches ever! The only time he has had diarrhea was after boarding him for 9 days and I relate that to stress because it cleared about a week after we got home. They both eat some canned and dry food.

My question is there something that this kitten could have infected our other cat with? BTW, the kitten is quite the eater and our vet said he will have a weight problem. She could tell before she even touched him! He has a fat belly! They both have an appointment tomorrow and our vet is strictly a cat vet! What should they test for is there something I should insist on? We also have a vet teaching hospital in my town.

The kitten acts as if nothing is wrong but my adult acts sick! frown

Thanks for your help!!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:46am PST 
Just so you know, Innova is NOT grain free, it has barley in it and barley has been known to cause poops. I would switch to something else like Nature's Variety, Evo, Merrick Before Grain. Get them OFF the Science Diet as you know it's junk and I agree. Innova is a good food but I suspect the barley is having something to do with it. Other than that if they tested negative for worms I don't know what else to ask for at the vet.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '12 2:21pm PST 
According to the can of Innova, it contains brown rice. I couldn't see barley as a listed ingredient. I haven't fed Science Diet for 3 weeks now. Could brown rice cause problems? While I understand cats are carnivores, do they not eat animals that eat grain, therefore ingest it? I guess this whole grain free thing confuses me.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 2:24pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:44pm PST 
Hmmm, maybe they removed the barley. Yes, when they eat prey that eats grains such as mice, it's PRE-DIGESTED grains and is part of the natural prey model diet. That's the difference. I don't see rice doing that though, but brown rice contains a lot of arsenic from the ground.
[notify]